The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Substrate (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Petco Sand... (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=277130)

DefStatic 03-16-2013 09:07 PM

Petco Sand...

Is it really a big deal to use something like Eco-complete or Flourite, especially in regards to a 4gal tank?

Could you use regular petco sand or something like it, with root tabs and liquid ferts?

sarahspins 03-16-2013 09:10 PM

No, but I would advice using anything other than petco's sand.. it's not actually sand, and it's not inert, it's a manmade gravel and will raise your pH. Any of Caribsea's "sands" are fine and come in similarly sized bags.. 5lbs is all you'd need for a 4gal tank.

CoffeeLove 03-16-2013 09:12 PM

Re: Petco Sand...

You sure can! I'm using Petco sand and Osmocote Plus.

---
I give my fish coffee :)

CoffeeLove 03-16-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahspins (Post 2846018)
No, but I would advice using anything other than petco's sand.. it's not actually sand, and it's not inert, it's a manmade gravel and will raise your pH. Any of Caribsea's "sands" are fine and come in similarly sized bags.. 5lbs is all you'd need for a 4gal tank.

Is that right? I've never had a problem related to their sand, I really think this is non issue. It's not the only substrate to buffer the water in some way, if it even does at all...

---

DefStatic 03-16-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahspins (Post 2846018)

Thats my other problem, finding other stuff in a 5lb size.

AVN 03-16-2013 09:31 PM

My black petco sand does not affect pH or any other parameter, at least not by a measurable amount. where did you get your information from?

CoffeeLove 03-16-2013 09:33 PM

Also wondering where his info came from.

---

Axelrodi202 03-17-2013 12:51 AM

I don't know about their sand, but the Petco gravel is claimed to be inert on the bag.

Kinection 03-17-2013 06:04 AM

Petco gravel/sand + Excel + Root tabs ( AVN's drugs ;) ) = great
growth for plants. I personally like how Petco sand looks over Eco too!

Alaskan Fishface 03-17-2013 11:14 AM

Petco sand is the worst! Raised my ph when I capped off with it. Killed everything but the snails!

Barbgirl 03-17-2013 11:25 AM

I have used in two tanks and haven't had an issue with it. Barely had to rinse as well.

CoffeeLove 03-17-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alaskan Fishface (Post 2852034)
Petco sand is the worst! Raised my ph when I capped off with it. Killed everything but the snails!

Don't believe it honestly.

---

In.a.Box 03-17-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alaskan Fishface (Post 2852034)

If you use it to cap soil or other stuff that's where the problem is not the petco sand.
I think petco gets their sand from the sand company who make m3 sand.
The sand do look like those sand for flooring pool or floor.

DogFish 03-17-2013 05:16 PM

PetCo does sell sand for reptiles that has high Calcium levels. There Aquatic sand should not be an issue.

I use Home Depot's Premium Playsand at $3.99 for 40#s. Nice natural color, rinses fairly easily.

kingjombeejoe 03-17-2013 06:04 PM

Depending on what color your looking for, I used black beauty blasting sand, and I love it. I've been pimping this stuff every chance I get. I got 100lbs for $14 and use root tabs and little special mud mixture underneath with nice results. I would just give you some but I think shipping would be too much. Check out my tank in my sig for how it looks.