The Planted Tank Forum banner

Desktop Low-Tech Aquarium

3K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  idleivey 
#1 ·
Ok, so I am still fairly new here. The intent of my project is to create a very nice planted tank in the 1.5-2.0 gallon range that I can take in to my office. I cannot use a filter on the tank and lighting will be minimal restricted to the fluorescent lights in the office and possibly a small light directly over the tank. I want to get plant and substrate ideas as well as ideas for the aquarium that would best fit my needs. I'm starting from scratch here so I have a blank canvas. I would like some type of ground cover like baby tears or maybe even a moss? Not sure what I can really use for this setup. It will house cherry red shrimp and maybe a fish or two. Thanks in advance for any help and please include links if possible to products and plants.

#2 ·
Sorry, but you can't create a "really nice" small planted tank without a filter or decent lighting. You need water movement for gas exchange and to prevent algae growth. You'd have a very stale tank. I'd say at least use an aerator, but if you're popping for that, you should just spend the extra few dollars and get a desktop filter, even those whisper ones that hookup to an air pump. Why don't you want one? Second, lighting. You can't grow plants in a tank without light. the fluorescent lighting of the office may sound bright in theory, but if you've ever set up a tank and shut the light off in a bright room the tank is pretty dark. Get at least a small office light that can support a full spectrum or 10,000K daylight bulb. Look into the EcoPico or some desktop kits.

#3 ·
The poster ahead of me had some things right. The typical tank will be a nightmare with no filter and no lights.

I hope you will limit yourself to something small like a vase.

Please understand this now: you can not have 1-2 fish in a tank this small. Especially if you'd like to have shrimp.

You could get a few shrimp in a vase.

I'd love to help more, but only if you agree not to try to jam fish in a small tank like a vase with no filter.

Perhaps read this http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=202170

#4 ·
I am open to trying anything...the reason behind no filtration is that my work strictly forbid any air pumps or filters as apparently they pose a fire hazard? I can have the lighting which I originally thought maybe a tank with a 7 watt incandescent bulb over it? The light will be on for 8-1/2 hours a day. The fish was just a thought, but I can nix the fish and go with just cherry red shrimp instead. I was looking at either a two gallon cube or a one gallon corner tank. The thought behind the plants was to create at least somewhat of a natural filter in the tank.

#5 ·
Don't do it. You need water movement especially if you want shrimp. If you'll have no water movement you can maybe do like an anubias or java fern or marimo moss ball, but only plants and you should change the water frequently. Take it from someone who's tried, plants don't like stale water. Plant's only produce o2 and remove co2, they don't take care of ammonia or nitrite and they don't move the water.

#8 ·
It is possible. Especially with mosses.

They actually do remove ammonia/nitrate. And cycled tanks shouldn't have ammonia.

Anyways try a small cube. Marina makes them in .5 and 1g. Check my signature.

Just don't try fish. A betta may work for some but wont work for all, especially in a filter less tank.

I'd suggest 2 shrimp per .5g in a filter less tank.

#6 ·
I have a 2.5 gallon with no filter and just a desk lamp with 13W compact florescent bulb and it's doing great with a betta and a ton of plants and no algae. the important thing is to have a lot of plant mass and to be patient. also when using a 13W CFL bulb make sure it's about 15" off the substrate otherwise you'll have algae problems or need CO2.

#9 ·
Here is what I have come up with after much deliberation and research. A buddy of mine offered to custom build a tank so I think we are going with a 18" L x 8" W x 8" H for five gallons of capacity. The tank will have a custom rock wall that covers the entire back of the tank. I am thinking of using dwarf baby tears for the carpeting plant to cover the entire bottom of the tank. I need a plant that will cover the rock wall...I was thinking either java moss or riccia attached with a net mesh to the wall...ideas? Then I'm going to puta couple pieces of driftwood in covered in possibly marimo algae? The lighting will probably be an LED strip from Petsmart and I can grow some of these plants in my home planted tank and transplant them to my office tank if I need to. What does everyone think? It will still be an invertebrate tank.

#10 ·
I think it sounds really neat.

I have an 18x6x6 and I love it very much.

I think the rock wall is a great idea, but I'd use a different moss.

Mini Xmas, Weeping moss, MAYBE mini pellia.

#13 ·
Here :]

The for sale section is awesome here. Also, if you can't find it try posting a WTB. People often have the plants but may not want to deal with selling them or if you just need a small amount for a nano and don't need a whole package.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.