The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Fish (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   ID fish (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=270922)

Big O 03-10-2013 08:52 PM

ID fish
 
2 Attachment(s)
I have no idea what this is.
Can someone please help me ID this guy?
Sorry for the crappy pic's.
cheers,

big o

Rush3737 03-10-2013 09:21 PM

No clue, neat looking fish though.

tao 03-10-2013 09:57 PM

bluefin killifish maybe?

mnemenoi 03-10-2013 10:00 PM

+1 Bluefin Killifish, a very cool native that does wonderfully in planted tanks. Usuaully find them thrown in accidentilly with feeders

Big O 03-10-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnemenoi (Post 2786410)
+1 Bluefin Killifish, a very cool native that does wonderfully in planted tanks. Usuaully find them thrown in accidentilly with feeders

Wow, that's exactly where I found him!
He was in a tank of feeder ghost shrimp with some darters, that I also bought(for cheap).
thanks,
big o

auban 03-10-2013 10:38 PM

one of my favorite natives. if you have a male and female in a planted tank, they will likely breed. they dont seem to have very strict requirements.

right now i have about 30 of them in a 65 gallon tank, from which i am able to collect about 40 or so fry per week. awesome fish.

auban 03-10-2013 10:50 PM

also, i think your fish came from west of the suwannee river, in florida. it has a overall color that is more blue than yellow, with very little red in the tail. most of the time, when i collected fish that looked like that (even juveniles) i was on or west of the suwannee river. the more eastern populations seem to have much more yellow in them, with the red in the tail showing before the colors in the dorsal and anal fins.

wicca27 03-11-2013 12:30 AM

its a blue fin killie fish a us native they are awsome little fish i love them

Big O 03-11-2013 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auban (Post 2786730)
one of my favorite natives. if you have a male and female in a planted tank, they will likely breed. they dont seem to have very strict requirements.

right now i have about 30 of them in a 65 gallon tank, from which i am able to collect about 40 or so fry per week. awesome fish.

do you sell and ship these?
would love to have more.
mine is awesome adjusted well to my fully planted tank. very active. love him/her. PM sent.
thanks,
big o

mistahoo 03-11-2013 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnemenoi (Post 2786410)
+1 Bluefin Killifish, a very cool native that does wonderfully in planted tanks. Usuaully find them thrown in accidentilly with feeders

It's amazing how much you know about natives. It seems like you're always dead on!

mnemenoi 03-11-2013 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistahoo (Post 2787954)
It's amazing how much you know about natives. It seems like you're always dead on!

LOL, we had a huge interest in these awhile back on the box and I directed some folks to a store that had quite a few though the owner did not know what they were. Had 2 folks go in and ask, then redirected and had to tell them exactly what tank they were in.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.