The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/)
-   General Planted Tank Discussion (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8-general-planted-tank-discussion/)
-   -   I just hit the aquarium lottery!!! Smoking hot deal!!! (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8-general-planted-tank-discussion/268594-i-just-hit-aquarium-lottery-smoking-hot-deal.html)

aquaman911 03-08-2013 03:25 AM

I just hit the aquarium lottery!!! Smoking hot deal!!!

Well, today I was talking to a co-worker about our tanks and another guy came in the room and heard me talking about my tank. He stated he had a tank for sale that he just bought a couple months ago and he lost interest and his kids aren't crazy about it.

My ears perked right up and asked what he was selling.

He said it a 7 foot tank. Stand lights and filter. Uv sterilizer and other goodies.

According to rough estimated measuremnet it appears its a 180 gallon. His wife took pics and sent them to me. To my surprise it has a coralife T5-HO light that spans the tank.

A eheim pro 3. And so on lol.

Price? $600! That's right. $600 for a new setup. How could I say no??

I looked into coralife lights and couldn't find a 72" light fixture. His wife said it's all one piece. But do they make that size? It's also got the LED moonlights :).

Also, what to do with this tank???? I was thinking a open field aquascape with a Stonehenge hard scape but I don't wanna take apart my current 46 gallon with plants and fish (hightech setup). I love my fishies and plants so.....

raulfd4 03-08-2013 03:29 AM

Wow - that's a pretty sweet deal. Post some pictures when you get a chance. I'm curious about the lighting fixture.

Axelrodi202 03-08-2013 03:55 AM

Nice snag! A low tech tank of large swords, crypts, and vals with a nice sized school of angelfish could be really cool.

assasin6547 03-08-2013 03:59 AM

Or a massive swarm of tetras. ;)

That is one heck of an amazing deal! Yes please take pics I must see. You should do a huge HC carpet.

UDGags 03-08-2013 04:03 AM

awesome deal....so jealous!

Bettatail 03-08-2013 04:41 AM

Post the good news after you have the whole setup in your house, or your co-worker will think twice if he is a member/visitor of this forum and see this thread, lol.

hunterlook 03-08-2013 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by assasin6547 (Post 2762122)
Or a massive swarm of tetras. ;)

That is one heck of an amazing deal! Yes please take pics I must see. You should do a huge HC carpet.

Over 9,000 tetras.

Mumford 03-08-2013 04:50 AM

32 Attachment(s)
I can't imagine the tank alone would cost that much, you made out like a bandit! Snag it before he backs out lol

- Mumford

latchdan 03-08-2013 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunterlook (Post 2762666)
Over 9,000 tetras.

Your scouter must be broken

acitydweller 03-08-2013 10:55 AM

nice find on a bathtub :D sweet deal

DogFish 03-08-2013 12:32 PM

Happy for you, nice when these things happen in life.

I suggest take you time and really plan a great aquascape.

johnson18 03-08-2013 01:50 PM

Shrimp tank!! Just imagine how it would look crawling with thousands of shrimp!!

tomfromstlouis 03-08-2013 02:32 PM

Congrats on the coup. A tank this size lets you dream of all the larger species or groups you wish you could keep in smaller tanks. In my case, this meant a school of angelfish AND a large school of tetras AND sword plants.

You will want to be extra careful about high maintenance items; stem plants with CO2 would become a real burden IMO.

Let us know what you are dreaming of these days!

lotuslullaby 03-08-2013 02:58 PM

That is Wonderful

I can't wait to see what fish are introduced to an amazing aquascape, that is so much room to work with!!:fish1: Keep us posted on how things develop and congratulations on the find!!:thumbsup:

Chulios66 03-08-2013 03:07 PM

Kinda reminds me about the 30g aquarium I'm running right now. I was going to buy a 30g aquarium that I saw on on craigslist for $120 and it had a few goodies but I went to this yardsale a couple days later and found one that had an oak rim, natural gravel, an undergravel filter, three powerheads, 2 filters, and an oak lighting hood. Also included was a bucket full of aquarium care products and all of this was for 20 bucks!!!!!! I'm thinking that the lady I bought it from didn't have time for the fish but besides that, you got a nice deal.:proud: