The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/)
-   DIY (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/20-diy/)
-   -   Will this overflow work? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/20-diy/267602-will-overflow-work.html)

Kado 03-07-2013 02:38 AM

Will this overflow work?

I want an overflow that will suck water and poop from the bottom instead of skimming floating plants from the top.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8517/8...3e09d52352.jpg
overflow by Ecopot, on Flickr

kevinlambchops 03-07-2013 03:05 AM

won't the open top cause the suction to be lost? and the water won't overflow anymore. And if you get rid of that and your power went out the water would get sucked out all the way to teh bottom of the tank. correct me if im wrong but that's just my opinion. i don't have much experience with overflows

Bandit1200 03-07-2013 03:12 AM

It's an overflow, it doesn't work on suction. The piping is below the water-line so it doesn't matter that the top is open.

In theory that will work, but I think you need some more research into the specifics as far as flow rates and contingencies/redundancies.

iant 03-07-2013 03:16 AM

i'm assuming from your diagram that you're drilling a hole in your tank. if so then yes that would work but your water line would end up on the bottom end of your horizontal pipe not the top end

iant 03-07-2013 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandit1200 (Post 2750970)
It's an overflow, it doesn't work on suction. The piping is below the water-line so it doesn't matter that the top is open.

In theory that will work, but I think you need some more research into the specifics as far as flow rates and contingencies/redundancies.

as long as the return flow is less than the overflow and as long as the sump tank have enough spare space to hold all overflowed water during power failure, its good. and at least 1 redundant system is a good idea in case you have overflow blockage

Kado 03-07-2013 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iant (Post 2751050)
i'm assuming from your diagram that you're drilling a hole in your tank. if so then yes that would work but your water line would end up on the bottom end of your horizontal pipe not the top end

Quote:

Originally Posted by iant (Post 2751146)
as long as the return flow is less than the overflow and as long as the sump tank have enough spare space to hold all overflowed water during power failure, its good. and at least 1 redundant system is a good idea in case you have overflow blockage

Thanks, that helps a lot. I'll be sure and keep that info in mind when I build the system. It's for my balcony aquaponics system so if anything fails I won't have to worry about water getting everywhere, but my wife will be sad if I kill the goldfish though...

edit: Its just a plastic tub so I figured drilling a hole will be a lot easier then building a hob overflow.

GraphicGr8s 03-07-2013 03:44 AM

Kado, I don't think you'll get as much mulm pickup as you think. I'd still opt for the surface overflow.

Kado 03-07-2013 05:31 AM

Will this overflow work?

Got another question, I know it may affect flow rate, but as long as the pipes are below the water line, will it be alright to bend the pipes going to the sump in any configuration?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s (Post 2751322)
Kado, I don't think you'll get as much mulm pickup as you think. I'd still opt for the surface overflow.

Even if it doesn't pick up much mulm, I'm hoping that it will help with water circulation.

iant 03-07-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kado (Post 2752346)
Got another question, I know it may affect flow rate, but as long as the pipes are below the water line, will it be alright to bend the pipes going to the sump in any configuration?

Even if it doesn't pick up much mulm, I'm hoping that it will help with water circulation.

yes it's ok to bend it. as to overflow rate, you are only limited to your pipe size

saiko 03-10-2013 01:22 AM

Hey how's this?
http://m.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-f.ak/hp...854_n.jpg?dl=1

mistahoo 03-10-2013 01:26 AM

Get a canister filter. Problem solved :icon_bigg

Kado 03-10-2013 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saiko (Post 2778738)

Originally I was thinking of doing an overflow like that, but since its just a plastic tub I think drilling a hole will be easier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistahoo (Post 2778770)
Get a canister filter. Problem solved :icon_bigg

lol, that's my back up plan already got an extra canister filter ready. Just thought that this tank being outside the extra water from the sump will help keep the water temps a little more stable.

edit: I'm thinking about running the sump inside the house so I don't have to worry about electrical stuff outside. Don't know why, but there are already some nice holes in the wall that are the perfect size to run PVC pipes.

mistahoo 03-10-2013 05:31 AM

Re: Will this overflow work?

Drilling the bottom of the tank will definitely give you the results you're looking for without the need for all those contraptions. Plus it'll look nicer.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

GraphicGr8s 03-11-2013 04:20 AM

Kado your overflow will work just fine. You just have to match inflow to outflow carefully. You also need to make sure that the pipe you have going up is always open to the atmosphere or you'll have an efficient siphon and water in the sump and on the floor instead of in the tub. Only thing I'd suggest is to put your tee on the pipe going to the sump. The tee ill be resting on its "side" Less connections that way.

boxhead1990 03-11-2013 04:58 AM

Will this overflow work?

The first diagram is basically a due so style set up and the water sat at about 3/4 of the pipe and drains till the bottom of the horizontal section works very well nice and quiet