The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (
-   Tank Journals (
-   -   Lil boy blue's 20 gallon....updated(10-22-06)56k (

Lil boy blue 02-13-2006 08:54 PM

Lil boy blue's 20 gallon....updated(10-22-06)56k
This is my 20 gallon with silver tipped tetras, 2 golden wonder killi, and 4 ghost shrimp....

images deleted......
update at end of thread....

eds 02-14-2006 01:03 PM

Thanks for sharing.
I always find it useful when folks accompany their photos with tank params.
Like the background - what is it?
Try taking shot w/o the flash.

medicineman 02-14-2006 01:56 PM

Perhaps we should make a sticky on how to take good pics of a tank :)

Anyway, some tips on taking good tank pics:
-Turn off all the lights in the room except the tank lights. If this is not possible, wait until it is dark. The idea is to shot the tank as the only bright object.
-Turn off your flash. Never use flash when taking a tank on action. You can never get a natural look that way.
-Avoid any excessive glares (this is including glares from the lights of your tank should any spills out to the room and not onto the tank).
-Avoid shaky ground when shooting. Get your best steady grip, make use of any object to hold the camera still. Armchair, table or a tripod certainly can help with sharpness.
-Know your camera and make use of its full potential. Learn the fuction like aperture and speed. Digicam usually has pre-set programs for our ease. Do some practise on different settings. If the camera got a light meter, it is even better and easier. Try adjusting light preset to fluoroscent if it can give you more natural colours.
-Shooting a whole tank, certain plants and fish are all different thing and requires certain individual settings and skills. Hone the skill and get more hands on experience.
-Last resort if everything that you have done at best does not satisfy you, is getting a better camera to play with (which is not a cheap option).

Lil boy blue 02-14-2006 02:04 PM

ive never tried to take pictures of my tanks so it was pretty much trial and error, but thanks for the picture tips!!!!!:) I really appretiate them!!:)

ja__ 02-14-2006 04:24 PM

hay whats the plant in the 3,4 and 5 picture?

unirdna 02-14-2006 07:18 PM

Your tetras look like the ones I saw diving caves in Mexico. I was wondering what those were. Thanks for sharing.

Lil boy blue 02-14-2006 07:36 PM

JA-The plants in the 3,4,5th pictures are just plastic, the killies like to sleep in them and the betta like to build his bubble nest by them so i just bought it for those reason. But those are the only plastics i have.....

UNIRDNA-They are called silver tipped tetras:)Eventhough you cant see the silver tips they are there. And they are not the same fish, but coloring is similar

Lil boy blue 03-08-2006 05:27 AM

So heres a update...i have proper lighting and co2....i added new plants too and the pictures are better.....input would be great

whole tank
Bristlenose pleco.
HC i just planted
and if anybody could tell me what plant this is????

Thanks again...:)

shuks 03-08-2006 06:38 AM

starting to look realy good bule... Kepp us updated.

aquamoon 03-08-2006 02:23 PM

I love the balance of fish vs. plants. ...will be checking for updates......
Soon i would like to see you change the title of this tread:thumbsup:

Lil boy blue 03-08-2006 02:52 PM

Thanks for the thinking of changing out the substratre to somilmaster select(eventhough i just planted the HC:mad:). And i would like to get better driftwood for my tank...but thats it for now...

medicineman 03-08-2006 03:26 PM

Have you thrown away all the plastic sillies? :) Try some water sprite instead (even though you will find them to grow too fast)

Keep trying on real plants and new plants then earn your work :thumbsup:

Lil boy blue 03-08-2006 04:03 PM

Yes i threw away the plastic plant:) Now i have HC floating on the water from the extra i bought....ill see if my lfs has any water sprite, i havent seen any but ill ask....:)

Lil boy blue 03-08-2006 05:14 PM

SO i just bought a bag of soilmaster red and a bag of peat moss....later this week im goin to pick up a nice piece of driftwood from my lfs.....will post pictures this weekend.....:)

Lil boy blue 05-16-2006 08:42 PM

So heres an been a while, so heres a few images i found of the tank a while ago.....
heres the HM its grown a lot since then...:)

heres the tank now......

how you like not very good at picture takeing but i think its better...:)

o and here is my ten gallon that has been up for a while....

and the right side field of HM....