The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Fertilizers and Water Parameters (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Osmocote Root Tabs-questions? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=266562)

johnson18 03-06-2013 02:12 AM

Osmocote Root Tabs-questions?

So I bought a bottle of Osmocote Plus and a bag of 00 size gel caps & made myself a whole bunch of root tabs!

I've got a few questions though! Any suggestion on how many to put into my 55 gallon that is mostly crypts, swords and dwarf sag. The substrate is a mix of flourite red and regular gravel. I don't have any co2. The tank is lit by a coralife 48" dual lamp t5ho(1-10k, 1-6700) sitting on the normal legs. I dose florish and excel when I remember/have it.

Next question! How quickly should I expect to see positive results from the use of the root tabs?

Last question!! How often is it suggested that new tabs be placed in the tank?

Thanks everyone!!!

In.a.Box 03-06-2013 02:18 AM

I would do one on each plant or right in the middle between 2 plant.
Sword are root feeder so its good to do one each.

herns 03-06-2013 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnson18 (Post 2738986)
So I bought a bottle of Osmocote Plus and a bag of 00 size gel caps & made myself a whole bunch of root tabs!

I've got a few questions though! Any suggestion on how many to put into my 55 gallon that is mostly crypts, swords and dwarf sag. The substrate is a mix of flourite red and regular gravel. I don't have any co2. The tank is lit by a coralife 48" dual lamp t5ho(1-10k, 1-6700) sitting on the normal legs. I dose florish and excel when I remember/have it.

Next question! How quickly should I expect to see positive results from the use of the root tabs?

Last question!! How often is it suggested that new tabs be placed in the tank?

Thanks everyone!!!

I usually place them 2-3" apart. Sometimes even closer. I would place more in the center where light is more intense than the corners and replenish them every 3-4 mos.

I think immediate result depends on some factor like your CO2, dosing, lights, etc. In my tank, I usually see results within 2 weeks.

johnson18 03-06-2013 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herns (Post 2739170)

I usually place them 2-3" apart. Sometimes even closer. I would place more in the center where light is more intense than the corners and replenish them every 3-4 mos.

I think immediate result depends on some factor like your CO2, dosing, lights, etc. In my tank, I usually see results within 2 weeks.

Should I continue to dose my dry ferts? I don't dose much because I've cut my lighting way back.

herns 03-07-2013 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnson18 (Post 2739202)
Should I continue to dose my dry ferts? I don't dose much because I've cut my lighting way back.

Dry/ liquid ferts should continue.

latchdan 03-07-2013 10:40 PM

Just curious, where do you get the gel caps? I'm running low on my Seachem ones and would like to try a DIY one

zoo minsi 03-19-2013 02:31 PM

just do a search for gel caps 00 or amazon has a ton of them, not saying these are the cheapest just a quick search.

Rush3737 03-19-2013 03:54 PM

Yeah, I got a thousand gel caps on amazon for like 5 bucks shipped.