The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/)
-   Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/25-riparium-terrarium-vivarium/)
-   -   Best flowering plants for ripariums (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/25-riparium-terrarium-vivarium/265754-best-flowering-plants-ripariums.html)

Gnomecatcher 03-05-2013 07:00 AM

Best flowering plants for ripariums
 
I was wondering which plants produce the best flowers for a riparium? Maybe it's a little far fetched to hope to get a water lily to bloom, but is there anything else with nice looking flowers?

I was thinking that a peace lily is a good place to start. I also really love Utricularia graminifolia, but I don't know how easy it is to get UG to flower.

hydrophyte 03-05-2013 08:00 AM

Asclepias curassavica is a good one. It's very easy to bloom...

http://ripariumsupply.com/wp-content...ias-III-m1.jpg

Ruellia brittoniana is another good choice...

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedie408 (Post 1987920)


BBradbury 03-05-2013 02:04 PM

Emersed Plants that Flower
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnomecatcher (Post 2728890)
I was wondering which plants produce the best flowers for a riparium? Maybe it's a little far fetched to hope to get a water lily to bloom, but is there anything else with nice looking flowers?

I was thinking that a peace lily is a good place to start. I also really love Utricularia graminifolia, but I don't know how easy it is to get UG to flower.


Hello G...

Aglaonema Gemini (Chinese evergreen) has a white, tube like flower. They grow very well emersed. I grow them in my terraphyte tanks.

B

rawalstrom 03-05-2013 02:07 PM

If you go with a peace lily, be aware that it is toxic to cats and dogs.

Ryan

Gnomecatcher 03-05-2013 06:34 PM

Ohh, I like all of those! Thanks! They're on "the list" now.

Luckily I don't have any cats or dogs. But I'll be sure to not eat it myself.

rawalstrom 03-05-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnomecatcher (Post 2733698)
But I'll be sure to not eat it myself.

:proud:

AirstoND 03-06-2013 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hydrophyte (Post 2729026)
Asclepias curassavica is a good one. It's very easy to bloom...

http://ripariumsupply.com/wp-content...ias-III-m1.jpg

Ruellia brittoniana is another good choice...


Some nice pictures hydrophyte,

can you share some water parameters that got them to flower?

temperature? pH/alkanity/? high phosphate/potassium fert?

hydrophyte 03-06-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirstoND (Post 2738162)
Some nice pictures hydrophyte,

can you share some water parameters that got them to flower?

temperature? pH/alkanity/? high phosphate/potassium fert?

That Asclepias is unparticular about water parameters. The tank where I have it now has hard water and high pH (8.3).

All plants need pretty good nutrition for flowering. Phosphate is especially important. I dose this tank casually with liquid ferts and there are also a lot of fish in it.

shrimpo 03-12-2013 01:48 AM

This is Anthurium in a former Riparium:
http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps0a066b17.jpg
http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps2a15fb9a.jpg

Gnomecatcher 03-12-2013 02:19 AM

Oooh very pretty! How big does it get?

shrimpo 03-12-2013 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnomecatcher (Post 2798642)
Oooh very pretty! How big does it get?

I can't remember exactly, I took the tank down months ago. the plant I believe is about a foot high and the flower is about 2 inches.

hydrophyte 03-12-2013 08:29 PM

Hymenocallis spider lilies are pretty great, too. I tried several different species in ripariums and had the best results with H. traubii...

http://hydrophytesblog.com/wp-conten...ubii-iii-m.jpg

amygirl11 03-13-2013 04:09 PM

Nice!!!!


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.