The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Nebraska (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Speak up Nebraska (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26543)

Vafik 02-09-2006 08:00 PM

Speak up Nebraska

It's just been a long time since anyone had posted in the Nebraska section of these forums. Thought I'd drop a line and say Hi.

artemis 04-18-2006 05:32 PM

Hi, Vafik.

There are a few of us Nebraskans here on the boards. We just don't seem to be talkers.

AnneRiceBowl 05-18-2006 07:32 AM

WOW! Nebraskans! Hi!

I just moved here last year. It's great to see "others" in my area!

hellomyradio 10-05-2010 11:36 PM

I am also a new Nebraskan. :) We just moved here from Fargo, ND area. Shorter Winters! Yay!

Hello!

Elliot 10-08-2010 08:03 PM

Hi there fellow nebraskans.
Anyone in Lincoln?

awesomeroar 04-19-2011 01:34 AM

ya elliot right here lincoln baby. go huskers!!!

skerzfan 04-26-2011 01:05 AM

Another Nebraskan here. Started my first planted tank a little over a month ago. I've got a lot to learn, but it's been fun. Uploaded a profile today, check it out. Some plants growing like crazy, some not so much, LOL.

jake 05-02-2011 01:53 PM

Raised in NE and recently moved back. Go Huskers!

Hannothan 06-01-2011 05:07 AM

I'm in Lincoln. Good to see there are a few of us out there that use this forum

m3177o 04-14-2013 03:41 AM

im going to fly to omaha couple time this summer. does anyone know of some good LFS to check out when im there?

artemis 04-17-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3177o (Post 3116537)
im going to fly to omaha couple time this summer. does anyone know of some good LFS to check out when im there?

There are two I can recommend: Nebraska Aquatic Supply and Fish Freaks.

ua hua 04-18-2013 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artemis (Post 3146689)
There are two I can recommend: Nebraska Aquatic Supply and Fish Freaks.

That just about sums it up for what we have for LFS in Nebraska. Nebraska Aquatic Supply used to have a decent plant selection but last month when I went there I was really disappointed that their plant selection looked like the stuff you can find at the big box stores. Fish Freaks is a nice place if your into cichlids as they have quite the selection.

steven p 04-18-2013 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ua hua (Post 3154561)
That just about sums it up for what we have for LFS in Nebraska. Nebraska Aquatic Supply used to have a decent plant selection but last month when I went there I was really disappointed that their plant selection looked like the stuff you can find at the big box stores. Fish Freaks is a nice place if your into cichlids as they have quite the selection.

Forgive me here, but the last time I was in Fish Freaks... My buddy was like, "hey, are these piranhas?" I looked over and saw "Piranrah." I asked a kid if they were red bellies, he told me yes and I told him he couldn't spell.

NAS is getting sad and skeevy....

Aqua Pets has been getting better. The first time I went in (year+ ago,)immediately knew I wasn't going back in. Well.. I was wrong, came back on a fellow fish keepers suggestion. Lots more selection, lots of plants all over the non-cichlid side of the freshwater section. They use super soft ro water, so be prepared to drip acclimate everything if you use tap. I got orange neos from them in water with a tea of 42ppm.

The Fish Store in Lincoln... Had a butterfly fish once...

robinss 02-07-2014 06:34 PM

Hi from Omaha...Good to see some Nebraskans on here. I am new to the planted side of fishkeeping. Since you are from NE you will know what I mean when I say the water is hard and alkaline. This discouraged me from doing a planted tank at all. I want to set up a planted 20 gallon regular. Any advice for the beginner regarding lights and CO2? There is so much out there info wise and differing opinions and techniques. I need a Nebraska Planted Tank for Dummies tutor.

artemis 02-07-2014 07:26 PM

Don't be too discouraged by our hard, alkaline tap water, robinss. When I was using 100% tap water, my plants did fabulously. (Then I made the mistake of adding a water softener charged with KCl to my house... :( Tank hasn't been the same since.)

As for lights and CO2, you'll have to do some experimentation to find out what works best for you. I find a low-light, no CO2 approach is best for my tank. I'm currently using an old CoraLife 36" CF fixture over my tank, with a 10,000K bulb, but am considering switching over to LED lighting eventually.