The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (
-   Tank Journals (
-   -   Wander's 10g renewal (

Wander 03-04-2013 03:42 PM

Wander's 10g renewal
1 Attachment(s)
I have had this 10g running for almost 2 years now. To date the only thing that will grow properly are the anubias species. After some thought, and renewed interest, I am in the process of bringing new life to the tank.

Over the winter I neglected water changes and maintenance resulting in algae growth. While I am ashamed of the current conditions, it is not beyond saving.

I am hoping you all can help me get this tank back on the right track.

10g all glass
HOB Aqueon Filter (Newly added)
1 bulb Flourescent Hood (need bulb suggestions).
Circulation pump.

Anubias Nana (started with 5 leaves and have fragged it twice since)
Anubias Hastifolia (I think)

2 Olive Nerites (lost 2 over winter)
1 Flame Tetra
2 Red Eye Tetras
Several hitchhiker snails

The Tetras have become very territorial and I would like to remove them. However, I have no where to put them.

I would like to add 2 amano shrimp, but I am afraid the tetras would quickly kill them off.

I need help from the community to get this tank back where it needs to be.

I am going to buy a new bulb today. Any lighting recommendations?
Also will be buying additional nerite snails.

Water changes are back to 20% once a week.

Please let me know your thoughts.

GMYukonon24s 03-04-2013 05:08 PM

Welcome to the forum! As far as the tetra maybe you can ask the LFS that you bought them from if you can return them and explain to them your situation or if not maybe you can trade the tetras for something else or maybe someone in your area will trade you.

Wander 03-04-2013 05:19 PM

I didn't even think about taking them to the lfs. I will run that by my wife, but that is a good option.

Any thoughts on lighting. I don't want a entire new hood, but am looking for bulb replacement. Thoughts?

pianofish 03-04-2013 07:49 PM

If you get a couple of root tabs for it, A sword species of plant such as an Amazon sword, or a melon sword would add some nice scape for one of the corners.

Hilde 03-05-2013 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by pianofish (Post 2723090)
If you get a couple of root tabs for it, A sword species of plant such as an Amazon sword, or a melon sword would add some nice scape for one of the corners.

Amazon sword can out grow a 29G tank. Crypts would be better for a small tank. Some have a bronze color. Lilly bulbs add color too. API root tabs are the best for crypts. They are cheapest at LNT, which charges 0 for shipping.

Your bulb is fine for the plants you have, low light.

Wander 03-05-2013 02:20 PM

Newb question. What is LNT?

Wander 03-05-2013 02:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I changed out bulbs with a T8 LifeGlow. I like the spectrum output of the new bulb.

Also, cleaned up additional algae, maintenance, and added all-in-one plant supplement.

LFS did not have Excel, but recommended this as an inexpensive substitute. Ill try it out for a few weeks and see. Ill post the product at a later time to get some feedback from you all.

Tank starting to get back on track.

Hilde 03-05-2013 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Wander (Post 2730098)
Newb question. What is LNT?

Linen n Things They have Seachem Excel and other products. I get Brightwell aquatics iron there.

The plants you have, anubias, don't need ferts or excel.