The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Rhode Island (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   New Shop in Westerly! (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=264546)

JerSaint 03-04-2013 04:47 AM

New Shop in Westerly!

Sea Horse Pet Shop (44 Beach St. Westerly, R.I.) opened recently. I stopped in a few weeks ago during the grand opening. I think this shop could be really good! They have a good array of basic products and livestock. They had a very good selection of fairly large Angelfish and some plants. I think they are very open to feedback and are open to ordering whatever you want. It looks like the will have a good selection of Apisto's (which I can't wait to start stocking myself) and plants. Check it out as soon as possible to help support a new business.

In.a.Box 03-04-2013 04:12 PM

Is this a aquatic only store?

JerSaint 03-05-2013 04:18 AM

For now it is and that will be the focus according to the conversation I had with the owners. The business card they gave me also list small animals, reptiles and birds. Although the only had aquatic supplies and livestock when I was in. I wish them the best:icon_excl

In.a.Box 03-07-2013 10:59 PM

Im not a fan of LFS that carry small animals etc. Being a only fish store mean the people know their stuff and not just a bunch of people working in there like big chain store.

JerSaint 03-08-2013 03:16 PM

I met the owners(brothers) and they are the only employees thus far. They were very well versed in fish keeping. We had a extensive conversation about micro-fish, what they will be stoking for plants and the fish the will be able to order/stock. I wouldn't put them in the same class as a chain store. I am excited to have an option that is fairly local and not a chain.

Angelfish81 08-29-2013 10:53 PM

Actually the people there owned a LfS years ago. They are very knowledgeable about fish, they have been working with them their whole lives. Just because they have a room with a few small animals such as birds and rabbits does not mean they know nothing about fish. They are the only 2 that work there and they care about their animals. They are the type of people that will educate people about the fish they are buying. They are not a chain store, they are privately owned and they worked very hard to get their store up and running. Their tanks are not on a system and are some of the healthiest tanks I have seen in a long time. I would suggest at least checking it out before passing judgement. You might be glad you did.

rhody9 09-27-2013 01:44 PM

I finally got around to checking this place out and want to report it is a nice place with a great stock of fish. They have lots of variety, mostly fresh water but some salt as well. They had some plants as well but not a ton. The staff was real nice and knowledgable. I picked up some skunk cories that are happy and healthy in my tank. A huge step up from other LFS that have been in westerly. I will definately go back.

NanoDave 09-27-2013 08:14 PM

Thanks for the update. I've been contemplating checking it out for some time as it is quite a haul from upstate RI. Maybe I'll do another LFS hop this weekend and swing in.

Linder 02-12-2014 08:38 PM

Sea horse in Westerly!!! Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been going there since they opened. Nick and Chuck have always been very supportive, giving me help, advice,AND deals! Healthy fish, Great plants...Great Guys. Linda in Ashaway

Qwedfg 02-26-2014 08:27 PM

What type of plants do they carry? I am looking for HC and Glosso? Do they carry hardscaping stuff? Impossible to find any decent rockwork in RI.

NanoDave 02-28-2014 08:17 AM

I have gloss and a plant thats very similar to HC. It's so far unidentified and grows, mats, and looks better than HC as far as I'm concerned. Shoot me a PM if your interested.