The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Eheim vs Fluval Canister Filters (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=257082)

Mumford 02-25-2013 05:09 PM

Eheim vs Fluval Canister Filters

Hello all,

I've noticed a lot of you like the Eheim line of filters. Any reason you prefer those over the Fluval line?

Planning a 20 gallon long and am trying to decide between the Fluval 205 and an Eheim 2215.

Any reason I shouldn't pull the trigger on the Fluval?

- Mumford

sunyang730 02-25-2013 05:11 PM

To tell you the truth, I like fluval line. The new x06 line is so good!!!

CrypticLifeStyle 02-25-2013 05:52 PM

I think eheim is better made, longer history,better quality, better flow for biological media, and doesn't take up as much space. Fx5's are just a big water pump, but with the fx6 out it'll be interesting how it is. Also, from all the forum reads I do i swear fx5 people don't know nearly as much about this hobby or fish as eheim people, haha.

TwoTacoCombo 02-25-2013 05:55 PM

Prepare yourselves for another Coke vs Pepsi discussion! Personally, I like the fact that the Eheim Classics have transparent canisters, so I can see at a glance how dirty it is, or if anybody has slipped by the prefilters. The Fluvals are just a black mystery box to me. I'm also not a fan of that ribbed vacuum cleaner hose they use, but that's more of an aesthetics thing.

Delexboarfoot 02-25-2013 06:06 PM

IMO Eheim wins hands down every time. They work for a start. They are far cheaper to run. They requite less servicing. They are VERY well made and will last for longer. No contest, get a Eheim.

Mumford 02-25-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delexboarfoot (Post 2646026)
IMO Eheim wins hands down every time. They work for a start. They are far cheaper to run. They requite less servicing. They are VERY well made and will last for longer. No contest, get a Eheim.

So Eheim seems to be kicking some butt eh?

- Mumford

exv152 02-25-2013 06:26 PM

I just shelved my last fluval filter (205) about two or three weeks ago because it began leaking at the seal and nothing I tried fixed the issue. Also, I hate the fact that tons of debris comes flying out of the fluval when I reconnect it, and I blame the patented ribbed-hose design. I found the hosing to be flimsy; cracks easily and doesn't wear as well as the green eheim hosing. I also don't like some of the design features on the fluval; like the hand operated primer lever, the auto-stop valve, and the hose elbow. I find some of these features to be more of a hinderance than a benefit, and they don't seem to stand up to the test of time like the simplier more straight-forward design of Eheims. Just my two cents.

Fishmommy 02-25-2013 06:28 PM

I have tons of Eheims - i have tried others but always came back. That said, all filters have issues but i feel the eheims are the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BruceF 02-25-2013 06:34 PM

Everything about eheim is harder for me to find. Just on that basis I would prefer the fluval.

tiggity 02-25-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delexboarfoot (Post 2646026)

IMO Fluval wins hands down every time. They work for a start. They are far cheaper to run. They requite less servicing. They are VERY well made and will last for longer. No contest, get a Fluval.

:flick::flick::flick::flick::flick:

Honestly, both brands are great. Pick the one you are comfortable with.

mo2vation 02-25-2013 06:47 PM

Eheim / Fluval

Coke / Pepsi

Nikon / Canon

Hatfield / McCoy

Its endless.

:)

I have both.

I have 8 tanks - so I just sold my Fluvals so I can swap parts and filters back and forth as I clean and as I move stuff.

If you were to pile all the parts of a Fluval *06 onto the floor, and then pile all the parts of an Eheim classic next to it - the Fluval pile would be about 4 times as high. Hoses with elbows to get them over the tank, a big double tap, baskets, some kind of pre-frame thing, foam, plungers, etc, etc.. .its endless.

Fluval makes a fine filter. My 204 was the quietest filter I've ever had or seen or owned... People talk about filters being dead quiet - this one was. My Fluval 305 I sold 4 days after I bought it... it was way, way too noisy.

That said, Fluval and Eheim (classic) couldn't be further apart in their thought process or how they're designed or made. Classic: in at the bottom, out at the top. Holds TONS of bio media, is simple, is quiet, normal hoses, brilliant double tap design makes for bone-dry moves, rescaping and cleaning. Easy to prime and start... start the siphon, fill the can, plug it in. I don't get these people that find an Eheim classic tough to start. Easy to clean. Pre-filter in the tank, pop the top, rinse the sponges in aquarium water, re-stack. Takes 5 minutes. I don't get these people that find a Classic hard to clean.

I've become an Eheim guy. I have 10 of them now. I've tried several others, and I just love them. The classic is preferred for me, but I do have a few Eccos.

-Ken

Dx3Bash 02-25-2013 07:05 PM

Neither, get a Rena Filstar.....:icon_roll

I have had plenty of both Eheim and Fluval filters over the years. Currently I run a Fluval and Rena Filstar. Looking at a pair of Eheim Pro's for the 220 Discus tank. IMO they are all decent, have large media baskets for versatility, and will get the job done. Comes down to personal preference and budget.

And Pepsi without question!!!

bababooey 02-25-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiggity (Post 2646402)
They are far cheaper to run.

Eheim is actually more energy efficient and uses less power for the same rated filter. Not really an opinion - fact.

blackwidow 02-25-2013 09:11 PM

I dont have Fluval myself so i cant talk much about Fluval, but i have 6 eheim, i would not use anything than eheim :)

Dan Knowlton 02-25-2013 09:16 PM

For me -

Three tanks - three Eheims. And the Fluval is sitting out in the garage gathering dust - just too many problems with the seals.

Dan K.