The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Shrimp & Other Invertebrates (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Help, please!! What are these awful things????? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=257066)

InannaMoon 02-25-2013 05:07 PM

Help, please!! What are these awful things?????

I've found these nasty things in my shrimp only tank. We do water changes of around 30% every week so I wouldn't have thought the water was that bad. I went to my LFS when I first noticed little white worms in the tank but I was told they were most likely a flatworm scavenger and not to worry too much, there is no medicine for them. 2 days later and I see these nasty things that look like over cooked grains of rice. God, they look like maggots or something but they don't appear to be moving. Help, please! There are tons of them!!! :icon_cry::icon_cry::icon_cry::icon_cry::icon_cry: :icon_cry::icon_cry:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps5978e23c.jpg

Chulios66 02-25-2013 05:48 PM

They look like a type of worm. Don't have any thing in my mind for saying what they are though. I,personally, would put some in a jar and observe them, seeing what they eat,etc. etc. Good luck

Master503 02-25-2013 05:59 PM

omg looks nasty, can you take one by one out ?? or are there too much ?

InannaMoon 02-25-2013 06:10 PM

I don't want to touch them. :( Chulios, what benefit would come from watching them? I'll do it if there is a reason but would rather just find a way to kill them all. There are so many shrimp in that tank I really don't think I'll be able to get them all out safely without losing a bunch. I could just cry. :( It was going so well up to this point. :( :(

steven p 02-25-2013 06:24 PM

That kinda freaks me out...can we get some closer shots?

Fishmommy 02-25-2013 06:29 PM

Help, please!! What are these awful things?????

Theyre like planaria on steroids!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

InannaMoon 02-25-2013 06:35 PM

Yeah, when they were small and think we thought they were planaria. Is there any change this they have swollen up from something?

Steven, if you click on the image I think it should bring up the bigger version. If you really want to see it. I'm not taking responsibility for any nightmares. :(

Master503 02-25-2013 06:53 PM

I hope there aren't ton of eggs in there or else you have to destroy the tank and restart it .

dougolasjr 02-25-2013 06:56 PM

That certainly does look creepy. I would suggest extracting as many as you can every day.

In2wishin 02-25-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InannaMoon (Post 2646082)
I don't want to touch them. :( Chulios, what benefit would come from watching them?

One benefit I can see is that, if they are the larval stage of something, you might see what they change into and be better able to determine how to eradicate.

Chulios66 02-25-2013 09:37 PM

you don't have to touch them, just use a net or cup an scoop some gravel with them in it. After that just pour them in something else and observe. The reason for putting them in something different is to try out some products that might kill them;don't want to do it then good luck taking them all out.:proud:

CookieM 02-25-2013 11:58 PM

Use a turkey baster or something similar to extract it out of the water without touching it. I have several to use when I want to get rid of left over foods, dead plants, or rare occasion dead shrimp. Also work getting rid of worms in tank, just blow then suck in.

Kinection 02-26-2013 12:47 AM

Gives me the chills more than looking at snakes. It reminds me of the first time I saw a worm in my tank... PANIC ATTACK! I think it would be best to start taking them out. Identifying what they are is obviously the priority though.

Bananariot 02-26-2013 12:50 AM

I would fish everything out and pour bleach inside...............
lol don't do that.

Still those things are eyepopping nasty.
I've never seen anything quite like that.

mordalphus 02-26-2013 12:53 AM

Do they move? If so, do they move by gliding on a surface like a snail, or do they inch like an inch worm.

They look almost like engorged leeches, but the wrong color.