The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Using inline co2 for o2 instead (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=256962)

DrakeScree 02-25-2013 04:09 PM

Using inline co2 for o2 instead

I would like to avoid putting an air stone in my tank. Can I use a inline co2 diffuser and hook it up to an air pump to do this?

amberoze 02-25-2013 04:11 PM

Re: Using inline co2 for o2 instead

Theoretically, it would work.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

sarahspins 02-25-2013 04:13 PM

Most of the inline diffusers need a fairly high PSI to work (35+).. I'm not sure an air pump is capable of generating enough pressure to do that. That said, an air stone itself doesn't actually add much oxygen to the water - what it does is create a surface disturbance and causes the water to flow upwards towards the surface, which is where the water is oxygenated, so adding air into your return line might not really do much.

If you can increase the surface agitation caused by your filter's outflow, that should provide more than adequate oxygen to your tank.

Yankee 02-25-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahspins (Post 2644906)
Most of the inline diffusers need a fairly high PSI to work (35+).. I'm not sure an air pump is capable of generating enough pressure to do that. That said, an air stone itself doesn't actually add much oxygen to the water - what it does is create a surface disturbance and causes the water to flow upwards towards the surface, which is where the water is oxygenated, so adding air into your return line might not really do much.

If you can increase the surface agitation caused by your filter's outflow, that should provide more than adequate oxygen to your tank.

Good response - this was my thinking as well. Just add a spray bar and agitate the surface for a bit during lights out to get some gas exchange going.

DrakeScree 02-25-2013 05:05 PM

I did not realize that was how o2 got into the water. Makes sense though, and I probably should have figured that out, had I thought about it more. Thanks all

sarahspins 02-25-2013 05:47 PM

Don't feel bad - I think air stones are one of the most misleading aquarium products sold :) They work well, for what they do, they just don't work the way most people assume.

hlaalu 02-25-2013 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahspins (Post 2644906)
That said, an air stone itself doesn't actually add much oxygen to the water - what it does is create a surface disturbance and causes the water to flow upwards towards the surface, which is where the water is oxygenated, so adding air into your return line might not really do much.

I've always agreed with that, but I also wonder how much oxygen is actually diffused into the water from the time the bubble leaves an air stone at the bottom and when it reaches the surface.

Anyone know? I'm in research mode now :redface:

Hoppy 02-26-2013 04:54 PM

CO2 easily dissolves into water in large quantities, compared to oxygen, which doesn't easily dissolve into water. Those air bubbles are very unlikely to put much oxygen at all in the water. A wet/dry filter is a good way to dissolve a lot of oxygen into the water.