The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Other Websites (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How is the green machine online shipping? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=256466)

I3raven 02-25-2013 02:10 AM

How is the green machine online shipping?

I just ordered a piece of Redmoor Root wood, unfortunately they do not list the option to track a package. Has anyone ordered and got a package from them? Thanks!

Green_Flash 02-25-2013 06:29 AM

They are in the UK right? Does wood pass customs?

I3raven 02-25-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green_Flash (Post 2642386)
They are in the UK right? Does wood pass customs?

Apparently, they had no problem shipping to the US. I did have problems of a checkout error, but the greenmachine online send me an email to pay through PayPal since there was an error shipping to the US, but they now fixed it. I'll tell you how it goes in a few days when the wood arrives...

CPDzeke 02-25-2013 12:34 PM

But for payment, ya know, pounds to dollars, how does that work?

HybridHerp 02-25-2013 01:18 PM

what I want to know is why did you bother getting something from the UK?
not for nothing, I like the green machine website and all, but I feel like you can get the same kinda stuff within the US as you can from them, right?

somewhatshocked 02-25-2013 01:29 PM

Like I told you more than a week ago here, you can't legally import wood products to the United States without proper documentation from both yourself and the shipper. Typically, as I mentioned, the wood has to be treated and on occasion - if you don't have proper documentation - customs will treat the wood with pesticide if it is not destroyed.

You should get a refund and buy within the United States.

Quote:

Originally Posted by I3raven (Post 2642746)
Apparently, they had no problem shipping to the US. I did have problems of a checkout error, but the greenmachine online send me an email to pay through PayPal since there was an error shipping to the US, but they now fixed it. I'll tell you how it goes in a few days when the wood arrives...

UDGags 02-25-2013 01:55 PM

Yeah, I don't get why you ordered from the U.K. when you could have gotten it here in the U.S. You better hope it doesn't get destroyed by customs.

I3raven 02-25-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somewhatshocked (Post 2643338)
Like I told you more than a week ago here, you can't legally import wood products to the United States without proper documentation from both yourself and the shipper. Typically, as I mentioned, the wood has to be treated and on occasion - if you don't have proper documentation - customs will treat the wood with pesticide if it is not destroyed.

You should get a refund and buy within the United States.

Sadly enough, ordered the wood before the post and It takes forever for them to respond to my emails. I looked in the pet stores around my area, nothing looks branchy unless if I combine peices which can reach prices I can't really afford. Greenmachine online is the only online store that actually shows individual pieces of redmoor. I hope I can boil the wood for a day to rid of the pesticides. I now really hate customs...

I3raven 02-25-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPDzeke (Post 2643042)
But for payment, ya know, pounds to dollars, how does that work?

it worked it out, PayPal paid it as pounds.

somewhatshocked 02-25-2013 02:09 PM

Boiling won't necessarily rid it of any pesticides. That said - you could be facing fines.

There are all kinds of stores in the D.C./NoVa area. There are so many options for wood it makes me wish I could visit more often. No more expensive than any other store anywhere else in the country.

And there are all kinds of sellers who have cool manzanita and other varieties of driftwood. Many of them here on the site that post photos of individual pieces.

Quote:

Originally Posted by I3raven (Post 2643626)
Sadly enough, ordered the wood before the post and It takes forever for them to respond to my emails. I looked in the pet stores around my area, nothing looks branchy unless if I combine peices which can reach prices I can't really afford. Greenmachine online is the only online store that actually shows individual pieces of redmoor. I hope I can boil the wood for a day to rid of the pesticides. I now really hate customs...

I3raven 02-25-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somewhatshocked (Post 2643682)
Boiling won't necessarily rid it of any pesticides. That said - you could be facing fines.

There are all kinds of stores in the D.C./NoVa area. There are so many options for wood it makes me wish I could visit more often. No more expensive than any other store anywhere else in the country.

And there are all kinds of sellers who have cool manzanita and other varieties of driftwood. Many of them here on the site that post photos of individual pieces.

I really hope thegreenmachine provided documentation for the wood to comply with the US customs. I mean they must have known it would have been treated by the customs if no documentation was provided. Ugh I have had so many bad experiences with shipping with the UK. No tracking options, lost packages, and the customs. I'm in the same situation, I cannot go everywhere to find a piece of wood since my parents do not have the patience. Should have respected and checked with your input, now it's the matter of the greenmachine actually has documentation. I'll come back with updates..

somewhatshocked 02-25-2013 02:52 PM

You may want to try phoning them to see if they've shipped it. If not, they may be able to refund you because of the customs problems.

I3raven 02-25-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somewhatshocked (Post 2644122)
You may want to try phoning them to see if they've shipped it. If not, they may be able to refund you because of the customs problems.

It's been "despatched" since the 2/21/13. I can't call them by phone because its not available from here. It takes so long for them to reply, up to 3-4 days. So if anyone is wanting to buy from them, be patient with emails.

Green_Flash 02-25-2013 08:32 PM

Red moor looks very similar to branch wood, if you need more you could always give Frank at ADG (Aquarium Design Group, ADA USA) a call and ask for him to send you pictures of some choice pieces for your tank size. And then you can pick the ones you like best.

I3raven 02-25-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green_Flash (Post 2647546)
Red moor looks very similar to branch wood, if you need more you could always give Frank at ADG (Aquarium Design Group, ADA USA) a call and ask for him to send you pictures of some choice pieces for your tank size. And then you can pick the ones you like best.

Hmm..I might do that if things don't work out with the customs.