The Planted Tank Forum banner

pH Drop Concern

649 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  AfricanCichlids 
#1 ·
Due to financial issues, I will not be able to immediately set up my tank right from the start with live plants, fertilizers, C02, etc. So for the time being I'm just adding 6 neon tetras to my 20 long, and then overtime I'll buy all of the supplies needed until I'll be able to fully convert to a planted tank. The issue I am having is C02 drops pH. So when I take the neon tetras out of the tank to fully remodel it and hook up the C02 and everything else, overtime the C02 in the water will make the pH drop. So what should I do? How do I transfer the neon's safely to the thank without them getting killed by a huge pH drop? I'm stumped..

One option that I was considering is just putting them straight into the tank the second I hook up the C02, and hopefully the pH will drop at a slow enough rate to not stress them out.. Would that work?

Any suggestions for other methods to go about this are welcome.

#2 · (Edited)
Well, not sure why you would want to run CO2 if you dont have plants yet, but provided the new tank is cycled, move the neons into the new tank before you start the CO2. That way the fish will be in the tank when you start gassing it and won't be experiencing a huge drop in PH. Besides, the drops in PH due to CO2 typically aren't as harmful to fish as is the lack of O2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.