The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Fluval FX5 Canister Filter? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=253434)

marcnc 02-22-2013 01:00 AM

Fluval FX5 Canister Filter?

Anyone have one? Are they worth the money? Ordered a new Rena XP Filstar XL and it came in and did not work, thinking about going with the Fluval FX5 Canister Filter instead.

mistahoo 02-22-2013 01:25 AM

They work. It's a decent filter. I'd rate it 7/10. Better as a water mover than a filter. Just ditch everything and load that sucker up with bio balls or plastic pot scrubbers.

If you're looking for large quality canisters, I'd go with an Eheim 2260/2. If you're baller and want the best quality canisters, I'd go with the ADA canister filters.

amberoze 02-22-2013 03:21 AM

Re: Fluval FX5 Canister Filter?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistahoo (Post 2612794)
They work. It's a decent filter. I'd rate it 7/10. Better as a water mover than a filter. Just ditch everything and load that sucker up with bio balls or plastic pot scrubbers.

+1. Don't buy fluval commercial media. Pot scrubbers all the way. It's flow rate is second to none. I run two of these on two 125g. One tank is a turtle tank and it stays clear as a bell. I highly recommend the fx5 as long as you use custom media and a custom outflow. Oh, and replace the black ribbed hose with clear 1" inner diameter vinyl hose. Use those metal hose clamps too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

In.a.Box 02-22-2013 03:46 AM

The best canister filter ever made.

mistahoo 02-22-2013 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In.a.Box (Post 2614226)

LOL! You're funny guy. Definitely not the best canister filter, but decent for its price. You can't beat 6 for $1 plastic pot scrubbers when it come to media. ADA canister filter is the best as far as I know.

Sethjohnson30 02-22-2013 05:00 AM

Fluval FX5 Canister Filter?

Quote:

Originally Posted by In.a.Box (Post 2614226)

I agree. I've had tons of canisters but nothing compares to my fx5

ETK 02-22-2013 05:33 AM

What do you mean by plastic pot scrubbers, and are they a better alternative to fluval bio media, or are they just cheaper? And why not use the fluval stuff, polishing pad, coarse pad, etc.

I am using an fx5, and it has been great so far (a few weeks). Any media tips would be greatly appreciated. The more specific the better. Thanks!

mistahoo 02-22-2013 06:36 AM

Plastic pot scrubbers. You can find them at any dollar store. 6 for $1. Now compare that to Fluval media. Last I remember, buying a box of Fluval media cost me about $15 for a large media bag full. $15 will get me 90 plastic pot scrubbers. Both hold beneficial bacteria. Now compare the two.

Here's a pic from Google if you don't know what I'm talking about.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/j...ubberscopy.jpg

ceech1 02-22-2013 06:37 AM

Eheim Professional Pro 3 is a much better filter i think.If you are looking for big flow the fx5 is good but for filtering Eheim is better.Mind you they are both beasts and not a huge difference in them.I just prefer Eheim.

ceech1 02-22-2013 06:40 AM

I had bio balls and bio beads in mine and it was perfect.But i guess we all like to do what suits us :-)

fishtastic 02-22-2013 11:17 AM

Had one on a 220g dwarf cichlid setup. I um "forgot" to clean it for about a year and a half. It still worked perfect never had a problem.

marcnc 02-22-2013 11:38 AM

Thanks everyone. FX5 at top of my budget, sounds like it best option over filstar xl.

What about using inline heater and co2 atomizer inline as well should work ok???

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

In.a.Box 02-22-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistahoo (Post 2614730)
LOL! You're funny guy. Definitely not the best canister filter, but decent for its price. You can't beat 6 for $1 plastic pot scrubbers when it come to media. ADA canister filter is the best as far as I know.

Yes I'm funny, thanks.
But ur a more funny guy... Hehe Ada filter? Really? Really? I think I just piss on myself.
Thanks for the joke of the day.

Why not pick up the China model? The Odyssey cfs5

ChadRamsey 02-22-2013 12:28 PM

i use an FX5 in my 125g and it works GREAT. I use lava rock and scrubbies for media. I have ZERO complaints about it.:thumbsup:

amberoze 02-22-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcnc (Post 2615842)
Thanks everyone. FX5 at top of my budget, sounds like it best option over filstar xl.

What about using inline heater and co2 atomizer inline as well should work ok???

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I use a hydor inline heater (the only brand that in aware of) with one of my fluvals. Works great, the only problem is that the hydor is 5/8" I.D. while the fluval house is 1" I.D. You'll need to custom plumb and reduce the hose size. I actually split my output and did a diy spray bar. I'll post a pic later if you'd like.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2