The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   gate valve or ball valve on sun sun? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=251778)

Sandybottom 02-20-2013 05:50 PM

gate valve or ball valve on sun sun?

could use a little help. i want to use a valve preferably the gate variety. i want to use it on a sun sun 302 canister. i've had luck finding ball valves for 5/8" tubing but no gate valves in that size. my plan is to run lily/ poppy pipes to a 5.5 gallon. how much can you turn down the outflow without damaging the canister? i eventually want this to run 3x 5.5 gallons. is this feasible? i will have it on the single 5.5 for a bit. it will house 1 female crowntail betta. thanks

Sandybottom 02-20-2013 06:54 PM

sorry experiencing computer lag.

Aquatic Delight 02-20-2013 07:15 PM

don't do it. i ruined a canister filter with a ball valve.

the problem is that the canister will produce the same amount of pressure, it will wear down the seals and eventually it will either do as mine did an lose it syphon, or spray water, depending on where the weak point is.

Ach1Ll3sH33L 02-20-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquatic Delight (Post 2598234)
don't do it. i ruined a canister filter with a ball valve.

the problem is that the canister will produce the same amount of pressure, it will wear down the seals and eventually it will either do as mine did an lose it syphon, or spray water, depending on where the weak point is.

Not sure what canister you had, or what your setup was but you can use a ball valve to control the outflow(I looked at your journal, your canister had a problem because an air leak, which will damage the motor on the canister). A canister filter relies on a constant siphon from the intake, its not going to build pressure in the canister by reducing the outflow, it simply will flow less on the intake side as well. Its like hooking up your canister to a u.v or c02 reactor, they will all limit the flow of the outflow, and no harm is done

i have had good luck with these

Sandybottom 02-20-2013 08:45 PM

how far can i restrict the outflow? 50%? more? less? don't want to ruin the filter.

Sandybottom 02-20-2013 09:08 PM

there is also the eheim 2211 on sale for around $70 delivered.would still have to dial it down. and get clear tubing for it. are the input/output the same size on this filter?would i need 2 different mm size lily pipes? i really hate this.one day it will all be worth it.

Aquatic Delight 02-21-2013 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ach1Ll3sH33L (Post 2598682)
Not sure what canister you had, or what your setup was but you can use a ball valve to control the outflow(I looked at your journal, your canister had a problem because an air leak, which will damage the motor on the canister). A canister filter relies on a constant siphon from the intake, its not going to build pressure in the canister by reducing the outflow, it simply will flow less on the intake side as well. Its like hooking up your canister to a u.v or c02 reactor, they will all limit the flow of the outflow, and no harm is done

i have had good luck with these
Two Little Fishies Ball Valve w/ Hose Barbs for 5/8 Inch - (15.88 mm) I.D. Tubing - (1 Per Pack): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

the motor does not slow, it runs at a constant rate of speed, and it is the pressure caused by that motor that i believe created the air leak, that prevented the syphon.

CrypticLifeStyle 02-21-2013 01:57 PM

Gate valve. Ball valves are a bit old-school per say. Gate valves give a fine degree of control adjustment.

Lurch98 02-21-2013 03:26 PM

Either ball or gate will work fine. Yes gate can allow more control, ball's are typically cheaper. It's a personal preference thing really.

Never heard anyone claiming that valving the output ruined their seals before. That is very interesting. I could potentially see too much backpressure doing that long term, but it's really not that different as Ach1Ll3sH33L mentioned from adding inline components or having additional head height on your return run. Mechanical work is mechanical work.

ReluctantHippy 02-21-2013 04:20 PM

Like most else have stated, either will work fine. I work at a fish store and the entire place is plumbed with ball valves - just like all of the other local fish stores as well as the three fish farms around here (aside from the big big pipes and weirs). Decreasing flow via either is just the same as adding head, extra components, or just having a longer pipe/tube.

Sandybottom 02-21-2013 04:24 PM

having trouble finding a gate valve to fit it. maybe i should just spend a little more and get an eheim 2211. that's bringing me up to $70-$90 for a filter then. then i want clear tubes. i will need a 12/16 to 9/12 reducer then to run 9mm lily pipes correct? my tank is 10wX10lX12h so only the 9mm or 10mm will work. the others are just too big.i really do appreciate the help. it's good to have fellow members to relieve my horrible stress headache over this.

CrypticLifeStyle 02-21-2013 06:09 PM

What about this maybe
http://shop.gyostuff.com/5-8-Shutoff...?categoryId=-1

Sandybottom 02-27-2013 12:21 AM

i don't think they make gate valves small enough for my application. the search continues.....

pgaron 11-06-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandybottom (Post 2660530)
i don't think they make gate valves small enough for my application. the search continues.....

I noticed it had been a while. Have you been able to find a valve, I'm in the same boat

xmas_one 11-06-2013 11:07 AM

When your filter is bigger than your tank, it might mean that you need a smaller filter. Go with the 2211.