The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/)
-   Equipment (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9-equipment/)
-   -   Glass Cloche (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9-equipment/251010-glass-cloche.html)

Gomer 02-19-2013 08:49 PM

Glass Cloche
 
I'm looking at doing a mix of terrarium + emersed aquairum plants but am lacking particular glassware. After much hunting, I've grown found of this design of glass cloche (with inset glass base having a perimeter wall).

This place potentially sells them (though not in stock and I think they are way over priced here). Hoping that someone reading this may know of another source. Cloches are easy to find on line, but not in this style.

http://www.shopterrain.com/product/g...oche-with-base

jeremy va 02-20-2013 01:45 AM

I just saw one tonight at a store in my area: World Market which has an online store. They also had a couple with holes in the top and a ceramic base which I was looking at for mosses. The only problem is that I THINK they may be untempered glass -- but I'm not sure how to tell for certain if it is tempered or untempered. (Tempered is usually marked as such in the US but these are from who knows where). Untempered glass breaks easily.

sarahspins 02-20-2013 01:59 AM

Tempered glass shatters into a millon pieces when it does break, so I'm not really sure there is any advantage to one over the other in this situation.

BruceF 02-20-2013 02:32 AM

13 Attachment(s)
Pottery Barn often has nice glass but it is pricey.

lochaber 02-20-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy va (Post 2592794)
The only problem is that I THINK they may be untempered glass -- but I'm not sure how to tell for certain if it is tempered or untempered. (Tempered is usually marked as such in the US but these are from who knows where). Untempered glass breaks easily.

If you have a set of polarized lenses (like the glasses from a 3D movie), I think you can use those to determine if the glass is tempered or not. I'm not certain of the specifics offhand, but I imagine putting the glass twixt the lenses, and looking through while rotating one of the lenses should give some indication.

Anyways, I doubt they are tempered, something that size and shape wouldn't really need the extra strength, and the shape will add a lot of strength compared to a flat sheet.

talontsiawd 02-20-2013 04:42 PM

These have come back in style, at least in my area and I see more and more stores carrying them. However, you may consider looking at somewhere like Homegoods or something or any budget store that carries kitchen supplies. I know I have seen similar before.

Gomer 02-20-2013 05:50 PM

Thanks. I've found basic cloches at a few stores here, usually without a base, and definitely not with the inset base.

talontsiawd 02-20-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gomer (Post 2597530)
Thanks. I've found basic cloches at a few stores here, usually without a base, and definitely not with the inset base.

You may try to see if you can find a shallow vase that fits. You can find a bunch of sizes at places like Michaels. It may be too much of a pain though to find a combo that fits together right.

driftwoodhunter 02-20-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talontsiawd (Post 2597658)
You may try to see if you can find a shallow vase that fits. You can find a bunch of sizes at places like Michaels. It may be too much of a pain though to find a combo that fits together right.

That's a very good idea :thumbsup:


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.