The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Lounge & Introductions (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Reccomend a dog for my family (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=248618)

SlammedDC2 02-17-2013 08:17 PM

Reccomend a dog for my family

I have always had labs in my family, as a child growing up and now as an adult. As much as I like labs I would like something a little calmer. I have noticed that labs don't seem to loose that puppy hyperactivity till they die. I do like a dog that I can play with but I would also like for that dog to take cues from me and the family, such as we sit down to watch something he sits down and relaxes too.
We are a younger family, I am 30, my wife is 28 and 3 kids, 7y/o boy and 2/4 y/o girls.
I do want a large dog (minimum 60-70lbs). I know some dogs that I would like but not sure how hard they would be to find for the right price or if they would fit in with our family. The dog will be an indoor dog along with one very easy to get along with cat (she likes to play with dogs).
I like Irish wolfhounds, American bulldogs just to name a few.
So what do you guys think?

hydrophyte 02-17-2013 08:27 PM

How about a shelter dog?

Dempsey 02-17-2013 08:32 PM

I think an American Bulldog would be a great choice. I just had to put my boy down about a year ago... He was 11. He got cancer and it got the better of him... Great dogs! If you want to sit in the house and sleep all day on a Sunday, they will be happy to do the same. If you want to hike in the woods all day, they will be happy to do the same.

The same goes for my Pittbull. Biggest sweet heart in the world. Great with dogs, kids and anyone.

My bully was around 140lbs and my Pit is about 50lbs.

Don't get me wrong, they both need exercise! Esp, in the beginning while you are training them. They really do just adapt to your schedule.

Just remember though, they do need exersize.... Do you have a yard? Walks are also very important. Kids are a plus, so that will give the pup lots of exercise too.

UDGags 02-17-2013 08:33 PM

Corgi's

VivaDaWolf 02-17-2013 08:35 PM

corgis and pits are energetic breeds

Large couch potato? Try the standard greyhound :) Theres tons of retired racers needing homes, theyre about 80lb I think and while they are sprinters, theyre totally happy to be lazy otherwise. The cat thing can be an issue due to their prey drive but I know they test them and some are safe with cats

Ashnic05 02-17-2013 08:41 PM

Great Danes have always been a favorite of mine. Mastiffs also but they're more like miniature horses. Both need a larger yard or lots of walks. Great Danes love to play, are usually good with cats (depend on their personality) and not so hyper like labs or huskies. My friend's parents got one and shes a big couch potato, but loves to play outside as well. Pretty much likes to be wherever they are. You're best bet is going to be finding one (hopefully try a shelter first) and see if they are a match for your family (this is said for any breed you get). That being said, most of the best dogs I've ever had have been mutts from the pound.

brainwavepc.com 02-17-2013 08:49 PM

Rottweilers are gret family dogs, we have a boxer/rot rescue and he's great.

SlammedDC2 02-17-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hydrophyte (Post 2569770)
How about a shelter dog?

Although I am not opposed to a shelter dog I was looking more for breed info that would fit with us, however there is no shelter where I live. I was shut down almost a year ago after the county cut their funding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dempsey (Post 2569810)
I think an American Bulldog would be a great choice. I just had to put my boy down about a year ago... He was 11. He got cancer and it got the better of him... Great dogs! If you want to sit in the house and sleep all day on a Sunday, they will be happy to do the same. If you want to hike in the woods all day, they will be happy to do the same.

The same goes for my Pittbull. Biggest sweet heart in the world. Great with dogs, kids and anyone.

My bully was around 140lbs and my Pit is about 50lbs.

Don't get me wrong, they both need exercise! Esp, in the beginning while you are training them. They really do just adapt to your schedule.

Just remember though, they do need exersize.... Do you have a yard? Walks are also very important. Kids are a plus, so that will give the pup lots of exercise too.

I'm okay with exercising them and walking them and yes I do have a fenced yard as well. I'm really leaning towards a bully.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UDGags (Post 2569850)
Corgi's

To small and not really my kind of dog

Quote:

Originally Posted by VivaDaWolf (Post 2569930)
corgis and pits are energetic breeds

Large couch potato? Try the standard greyhound :) Theres tons of retired racers needing homes, theyre about 80lb I think and while they are sprinters, theyre totally happy to be lazy otherwise. The cat thing can be an issue due to their prey drive but I know they test them and some are safe with cats

Not real big on the greyhound either, when I say bigger and mean beefier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashnic05 (Post 2570010)
Great Danes have always been a favorite of mine. Mastiffs also but they're more like miniature horses. Both need a larger yard or lots of walks. Great Danes love to play, are usually good with cats (depend on their personality) and not so hyper like labs or huskies. My friend's parents got one and shes a big couch potato, but loves to play outside as well. Pretty much likes to be wherever they are. You're best bet is going to be finding one (hopefully try a shelter first) and see if they are a match for your family (this is said for any breed you get). That being said, most of the best dogs I've ever had have been mutts from the pound.

A great dane or mastiff would be cool but I don't think my wife would okay us having a horse. Our old neighbor had an English mastiff and it scared the hell out of her every time she saw it.
I agree, my favorite dog came from a shelter when I was kid, had her 16 years till we had to put her down, saddest day of my life.

Quote:

Originally Posted by brainwavepc.com (Post 2570058)
Rottweilers are gret family dogs, we have a boxer/rot rescue and he's great.

Rottweiler wouldn't be bad but I'll have to see if I can get the wife on board. How are they hyperactivity as an adult? I understand puppy's are full of energy but once a dog hits 2-3 I kind of expect them to chill out a little bit.

DogFish 02-17-2013 09:31 PM

My perspective comes from showing & competing with dogs for 40+ years and working as a private trainer.

Purebred from a responsible breeder is like buying a new car, very high probability of getting what you want. Not perfect but the odds are more in your favor.

Shelters the "used car lot" of the dog world. I won't arguel the huggy-feely PC correct emotional goodies that come from the "rescue-experience". If your willing to become a dog-mechanic to fix what comes broke, with your "as-is" purchase this may work for you. Mutts can be wonderful dogs or total time bombs.

Niether is better, it's a matter of what is better for you.

I do think one should make a list of priorities.

Size
Male/female
Coat short v. Long
***TRAINNING***
Indoor/Outdoor
Maint. cost i.e. food, grooming, vet care.
Exercise requirements

To me the most important factor is training, not all people want to put the effort in, some breeds are more responsive to training. The Field dogs & Herding dogs were developed to work closet with man. They tend to be the most responsive to training hence easier...HOWEVER smart dogs need to be challenged

Hounds & Mastiff breeds were developed to work more independently. They are not as responsive to training.

Next I feel is exercise, if you don't like to get off the couch don't buy a high energy/high drive dog. It's just that simple.

DogFish 02-17-2013 09:47 PM

I forgot on my last post , review your home owners insurance. Only 4 companies will insure Rottweilers. Most have a list of breed they will not insure. At one point I had 3 of the 10 on those lists.

gordonrichards 02-17-2013 09:54 PM

Golden Retriever as a family dog.

Big fan of corgi breed here.
Will be an owner at one point in my life when I have a backyard :^(

Wish you luck in finding your pup!
-G

DogFish 02-17-2013 10:04 PM

Maybe you can tell by the Avatar, I'm a rottyt guy :bounce:

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/g...puppyAAA-1.jpg

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/g...asubdoor2A.jpg
http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/g.../elsasmile.jpg

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/g...09RRLCjpgA.jpg

Elsa (RIP) was the easiest dog I've ever trained. Rottys are very responsive to their owners. However, i did put in a lot of hours doing the training and even more into conditioning. Walks were min. 2mi to 3mi daily.

Rottweiler and pit bull owners are help to a higher level of responsibility that other dog breed owners. If something goes wrong it's ale way your dogs fault until you can prove other wise...and they still blame you. I liken it to owning a gun.

All that said Elsa was the youngest dog in her class @ 15mos to get here Therapy dog title.

My other personal breeds over they years were Irish Wolfhound, American bulldog, Alaskan Malmute, Catahoulas (on my 3rd now) and Rhodesian Ridgeback.

holoublahee 02-17-2013 10:10 PM

Take a look at basset hounds, mastiffs, bernese or greater swiss mountain dogs, and bull mastifs.

I have a boston terrier and a lab mix myself. The boston is an energetic little guy!

mscichlid 02-17-2013 10:35 PM

King Shepherd.
http://royalmajestykingshepherds.com...Site/Home.html

stevenjohn21 02-17-2013 10:41 PM

Rohdesian ridgeback if your the energetic person or a chow chow if your a couch potato :-)