The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Shrimp & Other Invertebrates (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   So a lesson learned, buy from those you trust (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=245898)

sbarbee54 02-15-2013 06:49 AM

So a lesson learned, buy from those you trust

So I was ver impatient and a couple months back decided to by some F1 hybrids from a seller I have never used. Well now 2 months later I am picking dragonfly nymphs out of my TB tank with famale hybrids. I have caught 4 tonight. I pulled 2 dead ones out last week.

By from people you know guys and trust. I do not know how many shrimps or shipmlets have died at there wrath and do not know if I have more in the tanks. But I am pissed! If you guys want to know who it is shoot me a PM and I will let you know.

These things are crazy looking mean things too.

speedie408 02-15-2013 07:28 AM

Sorry to hear Steve. Though I would love to have an opportunity to snap a few macro shots of those evil nymphs.

sbarbee54 02-15-2013 07:37 AM

If I find more i will send you some to take pics of. You know I think I am missing some of my hybrids but none of my tb I think. I am going to clear the tank tomorrow of Juvies and adults and count adult shrimp

Tanman19az 02-15-2013 08:09 AM

What!? He sent sent them with the shrimp? How did the nymphs get into your tank?

sayurasem 02-15-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanman19az (Post 2546906)
What!? He sent sent them with the shrimp? How did the nymphs get into your tank?

Thinking the same question, if I understand correctly the seller sent you the nymphs also? But how did you not notice it was there for that 2 months?

sbarbee54 02-15-2013 10:43 AM

Re: So a lesson learned, buy from those you trust

I think they were eggs at the time and i missed them attached to the moss and plants

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

aznartist34 02-15-2013 11:52 AM

Could it be that a dragonfly lay eggs in your tank after you received your shrimp? 2 months seems like a long gestation time for insect eggs.

sbarbee54 02-15-2013 11:54 AM

So you might be asking why am I up at 2 in the morning. Well I am rescuing shrimp all night, I have come to the conclusion babies are acceptable causualties at this point. I am netting out all y TB and mischlings, anything bigenough to look like a tb I am going after. I am pulling everything out of the tank. and doing a bleach dip with it all. Will put all my single crypt and fissidens mostly through it. Rest of the moss is being thrown out for precaution

sbarbee54 02-15-2013 12:00 PM

No dragonflys where i live.

sbarbee54 02-15-2013 12:16 PM

[censored][censored][censored][censored]ty thing is I just moved about 15 Juvie TB from my hybrid tank to this one I am now fishing in 2 days ago....... They were probably snacks for these guys.... They look well feed, now up to a 8 count found tonight and 2 found 2 weeks ago so 10 total. So if you guys find 1 in your tank there are many more!

antiquefloorman 02-15-2013 12:23 PM

Hey Steve,
Sorry to hear it!! Was it the guy we talked about from Aquabid??

sbarbee54 02-15-2013 12:41 PM

So in this hobby it is always a live and learn mistake thing!

pandamonium 02-15-2013 02:50 PM

That sounds terrible. I studied dragonfly nymphs in my freshwater ecology class. They are little monsters with their little fangs. Scary things. I'm sorry you got a bad batch and hope things go well for you.

MSG 02-15-2013 02:58 PM

I had dragonfly nymph in my spawn tank

Snuck in & I didn't notice it for several weeks. Glad I had the tank next to my computer so I was able to spot it sooner than later.

Once the predator insects get FAT from consuming your inhabitants, they lay eggs EVERYWHERE. The one I had was definitely a female. Laid eggs all over the place.

But now the fry/juvies are large enough to eat the dragonfly hatchlings.
  • I'm curious, would PotassiumP burn off these eggs? What about the leaf miner type insects that lay eggs INSIDE the stem of plants?
  • Do dips remove/kill off the eggs inside the plants?

Sorry to hear about your experience & thanks for the warning.

ravensgate 02-15-2013 03:42 PM

That sucks!!! :(. I would love to know the seller as I just canceled an utterly nightmare transaction and he happens to sell on AB. I'll message you when I get in this afternoon.