The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Tank Journals (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Need Several Plant IDs (56k warning) (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2440)

DLeDeaux 09-17-2003 01:31 PM

My wife and I went out and gathered a few plants for my new aquarium from local ponds and lakes this weekend. I know what a couple are but need some help on the others, plus some confirmation on what the others are. Please forgive the poor shots, I have yet to learn many tips on "aquatography" and for some reason my camera kept focusing on the glass. Probably the algae.

Some form of Eleocharis hairgrass. Not so sure I like this one too much.
http://www.doodlefrog.com/users/dave...20dscn0443.jpg

Not a very good pic, but I'm thinking it might be some sort of Bacopa. It is growing like gangbusters and I'm probably going to have to move it to a different area of the tank. The tallest stalk was maybe 3 inches when I got it on Saturday and it is 8 or 9 now.
http://www.doodlefrog.com/users/dave...20dscn0438.jpg

Pennywort? I just noticed this morning that it is pushing up a new leaf. It's so cute :o
http://www.doodlefrog.com/users/dave...20dscn0435.jpg

This is an interesting one. It looks like a sword of some sort. Closest match I can find is Echinodorus cordifolius "Ovalis". I found it growing emersed and I'm hoping that the leaves that it will convert to submerged.
http://www.doodlefrog.com/users/dave...20dscn0434.jpg

No idea on this one. Another one I found emersed. It is starting to flower like crazy. Another sword species?
http://www.doodlefrog.com/users/dave...20dscn0433.jpg

This one I found on the shore but it looked an aweful lot like Hygrophilia so I thought I would give it a try.
http://www.doodlefrog.com/users/dave...20dscn0431.jpg

Another shot from above.
http://www.doodlefrog.com/users/dave...20dscn0448.jpg

GulfCoastAquarian 09-17-2003 04:51 PM

Impressive findings! You're making me want to go out wading in some of our local ponds and streams. What do you look for as far as location? Shallow, wooded areas?

slyargent 09-17-2003 06:04 PM

Hahahah...I was thiking of doing the same thing! I'm really short on cash and can't afford to fill in my 75 gallon!

The last pic looks like a gymnocoronis...

The first one is some sort of eleocharis, I don't know what specific species though.

DLeDeaux 09-17-2003 06:17 PM

Most of the stuff I found was growing in very shallow 6" water. Some were completely submerged others were emersed. I had the best luck where water movement was minimal. I looked for areas that were well lit with lots of sunlight.

One of the next things I'd like to do is maybe some skin diving and see if there are any interesting specimins that grow further out in deeper water.

ddaquaria 09-18-2003 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeDeaux
Some form of Eleocharis hairgrass. Not so sure I like this one too much.

It looks like japanesse rush. I think it is a Eleocharis sp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeDeaux
Not a very good pic, but I'm thinking it might be some sort of Bacopa. It is growing like gangbusters and I'm probably going to have to move it to a different area of the tank. The tallest stalk was maybe 3 inches when I got it on Saturday and it is 8 or 9 now.

I think that is a ludwigia sp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeDeaux
Pennywort? I just noticed this morning that it is pushing up a new leaf. It's so cute :o

yep, or some other hydrocotyle sp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeDeaux
This is an interesting one. It looks like a sword of some sort. Closest match I can find is Echinodorus cordifolius "Ovalis". I found it growing emersed and I'm hoping that the leaves that it will convert to submerged.

On the money, definitely Echino cordifolius. These get large over time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeDeaux
No idea on this one. Another one I found emersed. It is starting to flower like crazy. Another sword species?
.

Sagittaria form. I have seen this plant a lot in pond stores.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeDeaux
This one I found on the shore but it looked an aweful lot like Hygrophilia so I thought I would give it a try.

I think that one is bacopa - bacopa caroliniana (AKA giant bacopa)


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.