The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Fish (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Glofish... Breeding true (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=243242)

Rob in Puyallup 02-12-2013 01:56 PM

Glofish... Breeding true

Was at the local mom and pop fish shop last night. In one of their tanks they had tiny glow in the dark (sort of) yellow fry. Turned out to be Zebra Danio. There were also some normally colored fry in the tank.

I didn't know that the Glo gene was passed on to the offspring until then.

(Just so you know, I'm not really a big fan of 'em.)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

pandamonium 02-12-2013 02:01 PM

That's cool to me but only because I have seen developmental biology courses where they have played with zebra danios and its actually quite interesting. But I am not surprised the glo-gene passed on. It is a genetic modification. I'm not sure exactly how the fish are created but I think the researchers knocked in a flourescence gene from jellyfish. Because the color now is genetic, it should pass on, much like how we create mutant mice models for diseases like ALS or Alzheimer's. We knock in a gene and can breed it out to create double recessive mice and such.

To be clear though, I think the genetics involved in interesting. However, I do agree with you in that I am not a fan of glofish either.

gnelahc 02-12-2013 02:18 PM

I heard they do breed true but you are unable to sell off the offspring.

Say Car Ramrod 02-12-2013 02:36 PM

Re: Glofish... Breeding true

If I remember correctly they are copyrighted so it is illegal to sell the offspring since the people who developed them don't get a cut of the money. I'm also not a fan but I've noticed some aggresiveness with the glofish. Also they have genetically modified tiger barbs which look satanic and evil.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

Darth Toro 02-12-2013 03:16 PM

Agreed. Not a fan of glo-fish. I feel as if they should not be sold at all. When I walk into a mom and pop fish store I get bothered when I see they stock them and feel as if they sold out and decided to sell them. I'm sure they aren't big fans either but want to make money and I bet the little ones ask for them.

Peccator 02-12-2013 03:58 PM

Glofish give me the creeps

wicca27 02-12-2013 04:21 PM

yes the glowfish gene is passed on and they will glow when crossed with regular zebra danios. glofish came about as a way to test the toxic wast/pollution in water ways here in the us. they used jelly fish dna i belive to alter the dna of the zebra danio. glow fish are not a dyed fish like alot of the neon colored fish sold. there is a lady on another planted tank forum the crossed the pink/red orange ones with her reg zebras and had some beautiful babies. they are quite pretty and really hardy. here are a couple pics they are not mine they are from google

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3236/...4f19849041.jpg
http://www.aqua-fish.net/imgs/fish/zebra-danio.jpg

unicknn 02-12-2013 04:54 PM

wow those look awesome! I want some now

Jeffww 02-12-2013 06:36 PM

I think they're really cool products of science. However, I dislike how they're marketed as a toy or like those black light posters. If I ever have tank space for them I might get a couple.

pandamonium 02-12-2013 06:42 PM

A problem that occurs often with GMOs that are crossed with wild type is sterility. Does this occur in the F1 of glofish and wild type zebra danios? Just a thought :)

wicca27 02-12-2013 08:56 PM

the thread i read a while back on the other form i belive the lady had several spawns. the point of these fish when they were developed was to see how safe the water was i belive ie could animals live in the pollution. all they did really was use a floresence from jelly fish to creat them so they added the genes. im sure it took a while but they wanted them to breed i belive. kinda like "can this polluted area sustain life on its own" type thing. again i could be wrong about that part of it. but i think the reason they made them bright colors was so they could be easily spotted in the water and know if the population was growing or just dieing. its been years since i have read about it so i could be way far off base.

Darth Toro 02-12-2013 11:45 PM

So are you saying only zebra danios are dyed from the DNA of jellyfish and the rest is paint dye. It's the idea of paint or dye being used that bothers me. Ex Mickey Mouse platty

Mumford 02-12-2013 11:53 PM

There is NO dye, it's commercialized genetic engineering

Jeffww 02-12-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Toro (Post 2524114)
So are you saying only zebra danios are dyed from the DNA of jellyfish and the rest is paint dye. It's the idea of paint or dye being used that bothers me. Ex Mickey Mouse platty

I don't believe Mickey mouse platies are dyed. Also GMO is not dying. The genes of the fish have been altered such that they produce their own flourescent pigments. It's very different. And yes the pigmentation is a heritable trait.

Darth Toro 02-13-2013 12:30 AM

I'm sorry. I must have had a scattered thought there. I just went and reread my post. I understand there was no dye used and I understand GMO. Sorry to frustrate you Mumford
I'm just upset that some people will do anything to make a buck. You probably are right about the mollies. I'm pretty sure the ones I've seen with numbers, hearts, designs on them are dyed or painted.