The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Other Websites (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Google, farewell. (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=241346)

Bettatail 02-10-2013 08:36 PM

Google, farewell.

been using google for years now, but...:angryfire

This is what I search today "annual rain water amazon",.
I was confused by the search results.

another search using bing give me what I want.

steven p 02-10-2013 09:08 PM

They have a nasty habit of leaving out KEY words in searches...

xmas_one 02-10-2013 09:30 PM

Try "annual rainfall Amazon." Be specific.

blink 02-10-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmas_one (Post 2502234)
Try "annual rainfall Amazon." Be specific.

This.

rainfall or precipitation would be the terms to use to get what you want although google should be smart enough to figure it out just by seeing "annual" "rain" and "amazon".

But, that being said, often when the internet doesn't give you what you want you gotta get the ol thesaurus out or check your spelling/grammar.

bud29 02-15-2013 01:57 AM

Anyone visited the site bigiton.com? You basically make 5 searches and pick which results you like best.....then it tells you which search engine suits you better. It is pretty easy to know which is bing and which is google, because nearly all of the bing results have a bunch of pictures with them.

Slingo 02-15-2013 02:21 AM

Google, farewell.

Hey don't forget you can get paid (kinda) using bing for searches. I've redeemed around $25 worth of points the last year for amazon gift codes. They have other rewards too. Not bad for just searching the web.

http://www.bing.com/explore/rewards

samee 02-15-2013 03:06 AM

googles been actin weird recently. I enter search words and it searches similar but past words I already searched. I have to do it again to continue. Its weird.

HD Blazingwolf 02-15-2013 05:04 PM

I concur, google doin funny stuff.. its gettin too smart

mach_six 02-15-2013 05:27 PM

I wonder if this is the reason why my fellow IT co-workers can never find the answer to errors on their own.

I enter the error message exactly and never failed to find what I was looking for and wondering what do they type...

IME, Google still provides the best matchines for what I search for.

HD Blazingwolf 02-15-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mach_six (Post 2550202)
I wonder if this is the reason why my fellow IT co-workers can never find the answer to errors on their own.

I enter the error message exactly and never failed to find what I was looking for and wondering what do they type...

IME, Google still provides the best matchines for what I search for.

why are IT coworkers looking for solutions on google?
if google provides the answer, this pretty much negates your job correct?

mach_six 02-17-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf (Post 2551442)

If you put it that way then pretty much any profession is at risk.

I can find how-to or whatever to fix my car but as easy it may be for me, the majority will not feel competent in performing it. I perform simple maintanence but some things that I know or feel unconfortable I bring to a mechanic because I need my car to go to work.

Same thing applies here, the majority of people out there have no inclination to do it themselves. If they were, would we have so many services or business to cater to that need?

In our case, depending on the issue, the user may not have the access right to fix it most of the time. Application support is one of my duty because I work on deploying it to the desktop environment. We do upgrades every few years on software so it isn't unreasonable to search for the answer but it is unreasonable to not attempt to try it find it yourself especially being paid to provide the support.

GeToChKn 02-17-2013 03:58 PM

I did your two search on google and bing and the only reason bing gave any better results is because if you look, it omits the word water from your search and searches for "annual rain amazon", if you click to only search for "annual rain water amazon", you get results similar to google.

Asking annual rainfall amazon on either one would have given you millions of answer. If you're looking for rainfall, type rainfall, not rain water, then you get a bunch of people named rainwater in the results.

This isn't the fault of google, you just didn't ask the right question, it's not a mind reader.

HD Blazingwolf 02-17-2013 05:27 PM

I can tell u google negates my job more than it used to.
Im okay with that. I applaud anyone with the courage, or ability to read an article and perform a task,
However i dont ask google to perform my job function for me

But yes in any field it does have its positives

scapegoat 02-20-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf (Post 2551442)

no. google may provide an answer, such as how to retrieve and loop through a json object. But implementing it, or even understanding what you're looking at, is not necessarily as easy or straight forward as copy and paste.

if it was as easy as just googling the answer, anyone could do it. but it isnt.

spidangular 02-20-2013 05:46 PM

Re: Google, farewell.

Bing blows google maps out of the water. Instead of the top down satellite google has, Bing going gives a birds eye view from several different angles. you can really see everything like from the perspective of a bird, not limited to that of a passenger as in google Street View. And you can rotate the angle from which you view the same point. Never question what am intersection may look like again.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2