The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Fertilizers and Water Parameters (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Question about using organic Peat Moss for KH (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=240866)

Xalyx 02-10-2013 12:10 PM

Question about using organic Peat Moss for KH
 
Ok so I hear a lot of people saying use Peat for KH can you elaborate on this? Put it inside the canister filter or inside the tank, does it make a difference? What do you use to contain it? Where do people get bags to hold filter material that still lets water pass through? Also how exactly does the remove KH, how long does it take, and how long can you use the peat before it must be removed/changed? Does it dissolve? Anyone have experience using it how effective is it compared to other methods?

Darkblade48 02-10-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xalyx (Post 2497530)
Ok so I hear a lot of people saying use Peat for KH can you elaborate on this? Put it inside the canister filter or inside the tank, does it make a difference? What do you use to contain it? Where do people get bags to hold filter material that still lets water pass through? Also how exactly does the remove KH, how long does it take, and how long can you use the peat before it must be removed/changed? Does it dissolve? Anyone have experience using it how effective is it compared to other methods?

I used to put peat moss into my canister filter. The pH will decrease a bit, and you will notice that the peat leaches quite a bit of tannins, resulting in tea coloured water.

I used to use old pantyhose stockings - they work well.

Xalyx 02-10-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkblade48 (Post 2501258)
I used to put peat moss into my canister filter. The pH will decrease a bit, and you will notice that the peat leaches quite a bit of tannins, resulting in tea coloured water.

I used to use old pantyhose stockings - they work well.

For how long

Darkblade48 02-10-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xalyx (Post 2501586)
For how long

The tea colouration depends on several factors: how often you do water changes, how much, whether you use activated charcoal to remove the tannins, how much peat you use, etc.

In short, it is hard to say.

stlouisan 02-10-2013 10:11 PM

If you're doing regular water changes, isn't the kh of the tap water going to undo the effects of the peat?

AirstoND 02-11-2013 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlouisan (Post 2502738)
If you're doing regular water changes, isn't the kh of the tap water going to undo the effects of the peat?

I would say this depends on how heavily tank is planted, how big it is, and other growth factors.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.