The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Canister filter question! (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=240714)

norg 02-10-2013 04:49 AM

Canister filter question!

Hey guys. I dont have much experience with canister filters, but I do know that my current Jebao 818 belongs in the garbage instead of filtering my 55 gallon planted tank... But the question is, I am looking to upgrade and move the location of my filter to a near by dresser so it can be tucked away out of sight. The dresser is about 4 feet away from the tank so I will need to extend the intake and return to the filter. Because I am doing this will I need a more powerful filter? Is the head that the pump is facing negligible because of the filter inlet? In can imagine so, but if for some reason that is not the case do I need a more powerful filter to span the distance? I was looking into something along these lines...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...03&pcatid=3603

However, I am open to suggestions! I welcome them actually! Thanks in advance guys. Here is a picture to describe what I am working with.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...pse36fa807.jpg

The pathetic filter I dislike very much.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6b4490a7.jpg

The future equipment control center!

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...psf84a79e4.jpg

accordztech 02-10-2013 05:33 AM

I think you should consider that most canister filters work with gravity in which the filter has to be below the tank so that a proper syphon to deliver the water to the filter and the impeller pump can push it directly to the tank. If the filter is level to the tank in the dresser it may not funtion properly.

norg 02-10-2013 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by accordztech (Post 2496330)
I think you should consider that most canister filters work with gravity in which the filter has to be below the tank so that a proper syphon to deliver the water to the filter and the impeller pump can push it directly to the tank. If the filter is level to the tank in the dresser it may not funtion properly.

The filter will be pretty close to level with the tank. Just a bit lower than the top of the tank. But wouldnt the force of gravity pushing the water down the intake negate the head that the filter then pushes out the outlet pipe? The filter would be working the exact same way, the inlet and outlet are just longer, and the filter is raised a bit. Like I said, I dont have much experience with canister filters though! :icon_redf

accordztech 02-10-2013 05:59 AM

Depending on the manufactuer, id look at their instructions because they will give you a measurement to show where to mount the filter.

You can also shove the filter inside the cabinet under your tank. Then cut the drawers to accomodate the filter so that you will have partial drawers and a consealed filter.

norg 02-10-2013 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by accordztech (Post 2496610)
Depending on the manufactuer, id look at their instructions because they will give you a measurement to show where to mount the filter.

You can also shove the filter inside the cabinet under your tank. Then cut the drawers to accomodate the filter so that you will have partial drawers and a consealed filter.

Thats a good idea. Just to clarify here is an extremely poorly drawn illustration of my idea in microsoft paint. lol

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...psaa210475.png

I cant put it inside the dresser it is on because that is where my clothes currently are. lol

moorin 02-10-2013 06:43 AM

As said above Couldn't you pull some draws out and screw them together to create a false door on the dresser under the tank and house it in there? So it looks like drawers still but they are as one now and could be hinged or just sat in place with the filter at the back, you would obviously have to get rid of the drawers themselves and just keep the fronts.

norg 02-10-2013 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moorin (Post 2496818)
As said above Couldn't you pull some draws out and screw them together to create a false door on the dresser under the tank and house it in there? So it looks like drawers still but they are as one now and could be hinged or just sat in place with the filter at the back, you would obviously have to get rid of the drawers themselves and just keep the fronts.

I could but I really really dont want to. All the clothes I own fit into these two dressers and Id like to keep it this way. That would be the ideal way to do it, but unfortunately I have to draw the line somewhere. lol Putting it in the cabinet to the right would be the best way to do it aesthetically, but I guess I dont understand how it would affect functionality. Can anyone clarify?

moorin 02-10-2013 06:57 AM

How about a DIY canister filter where instead of relying on the siphon effect you use a pump to deliver the water to the canister and then obviously the canisters pump will return it to the tank? Or forget the canister and build a sump/sealed box with your desired media and have both delivery and return pumps.

scotty b 02-10-2013 07:36 AM

ive herd great things about sunsun filters ,. from my understanding canister filters need to be directly below a tank to function properly

norg 02-10-2013 08:45 PM

I guess Ill talk to a filter company about this. I figured the head the pump was pushing would be negated by the inlet line... Thats how closed loop systems work atleast and I have some experience with them. There is space to put it next to the tank, but I wanted to have this build be as clean looking as possible.

Bandit1200 02-11-2013 03:44 AM

You do not need to put your canister under the tank if you don't want to. In fact it should work better by having it at the same level as the tank. As you suspected, by having it level with the tank you aren't having to push against gravity to return the water flow to the tank. The only restriction you would have would be any bends or other impediments to the direct flow, such as any in-line add-ons like co2 diffusers and/or heaters. As long as the filter is still below the level of the top of the water you should be ok.

moorin 02-11-2013 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandit1200 (Post 2505866)
You do not need to put your canister under the tank if you don't want to. In fact it should work better by having it at the same level as the tank. As you suspected, by having it level with the tank you aren't having to push against gravity to return the water flow to the tank. The only restriction you would have would be any bends or other impediments to the direct flow, such as any in-line add-ons like co2 diffusers and/or heaters. As long as the filter is still below the level of the top of the water you should be ok.

+1 although the inlet flow rate will be slower the higher you place the canister due to less gravity helping you with the siphon.

norg 02-12-2013 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandit1200 (Post 2505866)

Awesome. This is exactly what I thought but wanted to make sure. I know most people dont do it this way though, it usually just sits next to the tank. Does anyone have any feedback to offer on canister filters? Im not looking to spend much more than 100 bucks to replace the current Jebao garbage filter I have.

Aponogeton 02-12-2013 03:25 AM

Why is your jebo filter garbage?

I just purchased a short and stout jebo 835, for 80 dollars, it was one of the few that would fit under my very short stand for my 60 gallon. First Canister filter.

Aponogeton 02-12-2013 03:36 AM

Wait, you said Jebao... is Jebao and Jebo two separate brands?