The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   General Planted Tank Discussion (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Water changing below the filter intake? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=240346)

Xalyx 02-10-2013 12:56 AM

Water changing below the filter intake?

Got a really quick question. If you do a water change below the filter intake and air gets sucked in, you have to prime your whole system again because now air is in it. Is the solution to this just to turn the filter off during the water change or will I still get this problem?

deeda 02-10-2013 01:17 AM

You may have to re-prime the filter depending on how much air is 'sucked' in. I would recommend either not draining below the filter intake strainer or unplugging the filter until you have refilled the tank above the strainer.

Waters 02-10-2013 12:55 PM

I have never done a water change without shutting the filter down....regardless of how small or how big.

Xalyx 02-10-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waters (Post 2497490)
I have never done a water change without shutting the filter down....regardless of how small or how big.

The reason I loathe doing it is because it's connected to the lights. I need my tank lights to see. But I'll start doing this anyway, thanks.

Knotyoureality 02-10-2013 02:53 PM

One of my tanks is supplied by a *very* awkwardly placed outlet strip. Same problem, if I cut power at the main outlet I lose the lights I need to work on the tank. Solution for me was to use a piece of extra hose to create a closed system for the filter--slip one end over the outlet, slip the other over the intake and the filter is left to chug happily away on it's own while I muck about with the tank itself.

Bonus step: before closing the loop, I use the hose attached to the outlet as a sort of leaf blower--stirring debris up off the substrate and out from around the base of plants/under driftwood, etc making it easier to remove during the water change.

For my nano tank with its HOB filter, I just slip a plastic baggie under the intake/outlet, lift the hob enough to put the edge of the bag under it, and let the weight of the filter hold it in place while I work. I do the same thing while pruning to keep the flow from blowing the trimmings around--especially all those tiny HC leaves!

eddie6775 02-10-2013 03:45 PM

I usually unplug my filter, but have sucked air before. That's usually not a problem for me though because of how I refill the tank. I set my 'new' water up on top of the canopy and start a siphon into the filter. This just makes life easier and less stressful for both me and the inhabitants of the tank.

Waters 02-11-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xalyx (Post 2497546)
The reason I loathe doing it is because it's connected to the lights. I need my tank lights to see. But I'll start doing this anyway, thanks.

Don't know if it is possible with your setup, but I use a flourescent light that I plug into a seperate outlet and just lay it across the top of the tank while I am doing any maintenance.