The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Aquascaping (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Are these rocks safe for a planted tank? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=238882)

philemon716 02-08-2013 03:12 PM

Are these rocks safe for a planted tank?

2 Attachment(s)
Hi TPT

I found these rocks from a dumpster that was used to collect a renovation of an old building here in NYC. I washed them off and found them to be rather beautiful.

Was wondering if these would be safe for a planted tank?

Thanks

kamikazi 02-08-2013 03:43 PM

yes those will be fine

Aulonocara_Freak 02-08-2013 04:15 PM

If someone can find rock's in NYC anyone can find rock's anywhere!

The rocks should be fine, although I would do a bleach soak to kill off bug's and stuff.

philemon716 02-08-2013 06:25 PM

Thank you, gentlemen (women)!

frrok 02-08-2013 06:33 PM

Are these rocks safe for a planted tank?

I believe that's granite. Perfectly fine. I have a whole bunch I collected from the train tracks.

acitydweller 02-08-2013 06:36 PM

omg. i would totally use this for my garden... darn rocks, why must you be so dense and heavy!?!?!?!?

kamikazi 02-08-2013 06:54 PM

You can do a bleach soak. What I usually do though is boil them or pour boiling water over them several times.

jimmytruong87 02-08-2013 08:25 PM

I have a lot of that rocks in my location, but it is very difficult for set up in my fish tank. Their shape does not good looking

lochaber 02-08-2013 08:45 PM

I'm not certain, but I think those might be some sort of gneiss? - it's not granite, but it looks like it used to be :) - The bands indicate metamorphism

Probably safe.

Fuze 02-08-2013 09:08 PM

When the weather clears, one may consider harvesting stones from the west side hwy...:icon_wink

Option 02-08-2013 10:23 PM

I'm always really skeptical about stones like these, I hear too many stories about water chemistry disasters after trying out rocks that weren't necessarily meant for aquariums.

Boiling or pouring hot water will only sterlize or kill the germs, but this will not change the ability of the stone to slowly release sediments or elements over time that might change the water chemistry.

MSG 02-08-2013 11:09 PM

Perfect I was about to create a thread just like this.

But more to ask about the type of unidentified rock in my box of unused tank ornaments.

I'm pretty sure loch is right. It's a type of gneiss. Granite doesn't have a glittery type surface like that.

I also agree with option's chemistry point. Hard to clean the structure of the rock itself. Bacteria/viruses are easy to eradicate but you need to boil for at LEAST 5 minutes. Pouring hot water on the surface of a rock doesn't do much.

Oil residues are HARD to clean.

Anyway, not to hijack, but what do you all think these rocks are? I'm most interested in the BROWN rusty rock. The person I got that one from was a aquascaper.

First row of rocks matches the OP's.
http://imageshack.us/a/img838/2517/rocksl.jpg

binbin9 02-08-2013 11:30 PM

Do the vinegar test, if it bubbles it has some hint of limestone and can raise PH

The Goonch 02-09-2013 12:31 AM

Hello. If you have the API freshwater test kit, you can try placing a few drops from the Nitrate test bottle #1 (contains hydrochloric acid) on the rock and see if it fizzes.

Farmer 02-09-2013 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frrok (Post 2482098)
I believe that's granite. Perfectly fine. I have a whole bunch I collected from the train tracks.

I'm not so sure it's granite, could be, but I've never seen granite that fine before. Also it is very dark. Granite can come in a huge range of colours.

Also it looks somewhat sedimentary, you might want to acid test it first.

But i'm no geologist. I just live in a place with a lot of granite and learned about it at school.

Linds