The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Shrimp & Other Invertebrates (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Losing a shrimp about every week and half...update post #42 (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=238242)

ravensgate 02-07-2013 10:15 PM

Losing a shrimp about every week and half...update post #42

I have a tank that houses some S-SS grade CRS, CBS juvies, and some Goldens . Tank has been setup and cycled for two months, shrimp have been in there for 6-7 weeks or so. I've been losing 1 about every week to week and a half. Here are the parameters (and this is where they are EVERY week except TDS and please read the note on that)

pH 6.5-6.6
KH 0
GH 5
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

TDS as of today is 180. When the tank was started it was 140. It's gone up gradually over the course of the last 7 weeks. Been using Fluval Minerals for my RO water and its a bit dirty so may be switching remineralizers. NOTE- Deaths have happened regardless where the TDS has been sitting. Have lost probably 7-8 shrimp only one showed signs that it could have been a molting issue.

Diet - Tuesday - baby food (when babies present which they are now) and dried food
Thursday - Kale or spinach
Saturday - baby food, repashy or dried food
Sunday - Bioplus when babies present

The shrimp I lost today just had her babies last week. :( Water changes are done with remineralized RO water once a week, at the rate of 10%. Tank stays pretty constant around 70 degrees. Occasional fluctuation of 1-2 degrees.

So outside of dropping the TDS (again, deaths were happening even when I kept it at 145-150) does anyone else see anything else out of whack? Shrimp are breeding. Not sure on survival rate of babies since the first batch was born last week and the latest batch is still being hatched as I type this.

No new plants, no new livestock, no contaminated nets, tweezers, etc have been in this tank.

Elppan 02-07-2013 10:18 PM

Re: Losing a shrimp about every week and half...anything look strange?

Are the babies dying, or just the adults? Could it be old age?

Sent from my phone, in the land of magical unicorns and rainbows!

xdestry 02-07-2013 10:20 PM

maybe the kale or spinach you are feeding has insecticides etc? dont know what else it could be

Soothing Shrimp 02-07-2013 10:40 PM

Weak stock?

sayurasem 02-07-2013 10:41 PM

How many shrimp in the tank? What is your nitrate? IMO your feeding alot of food over the course of the week. I feed my 10 gallon tank with 50 CRS and 10 snowballs twice a week. So far so good and I got snowball babies.

Edit, nitrate 0 is kinda odd.

Soothing Shrimp 02-07-2013 10:43 PM

"Nitrate 0"

mordalphus 02-07-2013 10:46 PM

Nitrate zero while feeding bioplus? I don't think so!

Bioplus and other powdered foods raise nitrates pretty high pretty fast.

ravensgate 02-07-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xdestry (Post 2474026)
maybe the kale or spinach you are feeding has insecticides etc? dont know what else it could be

It's organic, boiled for 5 minutes and frozen. Plus I feed all my other tanks. No problems <knocks on wood!>

ravensgate 02-07-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mordalphus (Post 2474298)
Nitrate zero while feeding bioplus? I don't think so!

Bioplus and other powdered foods raise nitrates pretty high pretty fast.

I feed a tiny (and I mean tiny) pinch between my fingers of Bioplus once a week. Yes, nitrates are reading zero. I have no reason to doubt my nitrate tests because when cycling tanks readings go up when they are expected to. And yes, I'm shaking the solutions for the proper amount of time;)

ravensgate 02-07-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elppan (Post 2474002)
Are the babies dying, or just the adults? Could it be old age?

Sent from my phone, in the land of magical unicorns and rainbows!

Not old age.

mordalphus 02-07-2013 10:49 PM

Strange, sounds like nitrate or phosphate problems to me, but if your nitrates are zero than your phosphates are probably low too.

ravensgate 02-07-2013 10:51 PM

Also, no fertilizers and no CO2 in the tank.

ravensgate 02-07-2013 10:52 PM

The thing is is ALL my tanks are fed the same way with the exception of my cray cherry tank which is fed daily. I test all parameters once a week.

ravensgate 02-07-2013 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sayurasem (Post 2474250)
How many shrimp in the tank? What is your nitrate? IMO your feeding alot of food over the course of the week. I feed my 10 gallon tank with 50 CRS and 10 snowballs twice a week. So far so good and I got snowball babies.

Edit, nitrate 0 is kinda odd.

You are assuming I feed large amounts. Any food I feed is gone within 1-2 hours, this includes fresh veggies. I feed TINY amounts on the days listed.

ravensgate 02-07-2013 10:55 PM

Oh, and forgot to add, Up Aqua is the substrate used. Liam's Special Sauce used sparingly underneath, sponge filter and air stone in the tank. Minimally planted with only mosses, floaters and guppy grass.

Sorry for all the posts in a row, should have used multiquote!