The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Substrate (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Adding to Gravel (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=237522)

Chillax719 02-07-2013 03:06 AM

Adding to Gravel

Hi. Im not new to keeping fish, but am fairly new to planted tanks. I started out with a few anubias in my 100g, as sort of practice.

Now, Im thinking of adding more plants. I have been looking to place stargrass, vals, corkscrew vals, dwarf hg and dwarf sags. My current substrate is ~2 inches of pea gravel. I have read these plants will grow in gravel, but may need to be supplemented with root tabs.

I was wondering if it would help to add sand just in the areas I plant on, or is there a way of putting in an enriched substrate into an established tank?

I have a 100g with a 35g sump, loaded with jap mats and 6 lbs of media supplemented by a few ammonia and nitrite reducing pads. I have an HBRTG, IT, Flagtail and 5 Clown Loaches, so it isnt heavily stocked. I probably wont get an ammonia spike if I disturb the gravel, so it could be an option.

I understand that the loaches may eat the plants, but Im willing to work with it. I figure Ill keep them well fed.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Reality is an illusion, caused by alcohol deficiency.

mitchfish9 02-07-2013 03:23 AM

People have had great success with gravel and root tabs. You can buy or DIY some osmocote root tabs for cheap instead of buying some overpriced brand. I was in your situation and tried root tabs and mixing substrates, but I just ended up switching the whole thing to a dirt substrate lol

Chillax719 02-07-2013 04:01 AM

Adding to Gravel

Thanks for the reply. I may just go for it, but Ill probably add sand over then areas I plant to help keep things in place. Will the Osmocote 14-14-14 do?

Its gonna get expensive to put aquasoil or the like in a 100g, but Id love to be able to do so.

Knotyoureality 02-07-2013 04:13 AM

Sand is going to filter down thru the gravel faster n' you can spit so don't count on it having a significant affect unless you put in *a lot* of sand. Basically enough to create a solid layer under the gravel.

Chillax719 02-07-2013 07:07 AM

Adding to Gravel

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knotyoureality (Post 2467426)
Sand is going to filter down thru the gravel faster n' you can spit so don't count on it having a significant affect unless you put in *a lot* of sand. Basically enough to create a solid layer under the gravel.

I was thinking of mixing coarse 1-2mm sand with fine sand and then dropping it on the planting area. Im hoping to create a denser, more compact section to help the plants a bit before the root and to hopefully slow down the release of the root tabs.

Its just a thought. Hope it works. Thanks for your input.

Chillax719 02-07-2013 08:05 AM

Adding to Gravel

If I wanted to add an equal amount of sand to my existing gravel, is there a preferred process, or can I just lay it on?