The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Lounge & Introductions (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   US POSTAL SERVICE to cut Saturday Delivery Service of mail.. (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=236722)

hedge_fund 02-06-2013 12:54 PM

US POSTAL SERVICE to cut Saturday Delivery Service of mail..

Just saw this headline flash on my screens at work...looks like they will still do packages so that's pretty good news.

I'm sure there will be more news in the next hour.

acitydweller 02-06-2013 12:55 PM

ugh... more concerned with post office services as most of my shipping goes out on sat...

thanks for the update.

HD Blazingwolf 02-06-2013 12:57 PM

wow they started that last year... i guess its now becomming finalized

hedge_fund 02-06-2013 01:03 PM

more info...

http://www.keyc.tv/story/20976281/po...-to-trim-costs

rbarn 02-06-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acitydweller (Post 2458762)
ugh... more concerned with post office services as most of my shipping goes out on sat...

thanks for the update.

Doesnt take affect until August. and unless you ship from your house you will be unaffected.

Watch for them to cut Tuesday and Thursday delivery in the years to come.

somewhatshocked 02-06-2013 03:13 PM

hedge_fund posted something of importance that impacts many of us on the shipping front on the forum.

Let's keep the discussion appropriate, folks.

drewsuf82 02-06-2013 03:14 PM

Yes I am saddened to hear this since most of my shipping (here and ebay) goes out on Saturday(s) to keep the hold time on trucks down.

I guess I will have to start taking the time and going to the actual post office to drop it off now...or I guess I could just start shipping out on Monday :)

I just feel bad for the number of postal employees that this will undoubtadley cause to lose their jobs or face a reduction in hours.

Soothing Shrimp 02-06-2013 04:06 PM

So we'll still be able to mail packages on Sat, just nothing gets delivered Sat. Correct?

mordalphus 02-06-2013 04:43 PM

I'd be fine with the post office have no home delivery at all, I'd pick up my mail at the post office like the old days.

I think post office still open, just no delivery of first class mail, so you can still send packages.

freph 02-06-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mordalphus (Post 2460370)
I'd be fine with the post office have no home delivery at all, I'd pick up my mail at the post office like the old days.

I think post office still open, just no delivery of first class mail, so you can still send packages.

Agree on this. Post office is climate controlled too. :)

discusonly 02-06-2013 05:03 PM

IMHO, It's long overdue.

In this age of electronics.. snail mail on Saturday is not really necessary.

Bushkill 02-06-2013 05:10 PM

In my area, the only thing we EVER get on Saturdays is 2nd and 3rd class mail. Flyers and junk mail. As long as the P.O. is still open for a few hours on Sat. I wouldn't even notice it. This one change shouldn't cost many jobs if any at all by itself. It's always been a mandated thing that they've never been able to get Congress to move on. The other cuts / changes will hurt for sure. If they would just enhance the tracking mechanism for priority, and just improve performance, they would give the rest some real heartburn.

DogFish 02-06-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp (Post 2460050)
So we'll still be able to mail packages on Sat, just nothing gets delivered Sat. Correct?

YES? NO??

I hope they keep Sat. Ship. pretty much every thing I send on Sat via Priority is there on Monday.

If not, I guess Monday becomes National Ship a plant day.

Nubster 02-06-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mordalphus (Post 2460370)

I think that the issue with that is that a lot of facilities might not be able to handle the volume of people coming in to pickup thier mail. My PO is one of them. Parking sucks, there are only a couple hundred PO boxes and there's probably 5,000 people served by my PO so there wouldn't be the PO boxes for everyone, the building is small so having more than a few people inside at a time things get cramped...the idea of going to the PO doesn't bother me too much. A little inconvenient but if it'll save jobs and possible the USPS as a whole, I'd suck it up and go pick up my mail.

FlyingHellFish 02-06-2013 06:17 PM

You guys get mail on saturdays? We don't, that unheard of here in United Province of Canada.