The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   DIY (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Fishroom and Air question (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=235554)

Contrl 02-05-2013 03:44 AM

Fishroom and Air question

ok here is my dilema, I have a fishroom and one wall has 18 15 gallon tanks in racks on it each rack of 6 tanks has it's own sump, and some of my tanks have sponge filters, some have undergravels, and one rack has a fluidized bed.

For the tanks with air driven extras, would it make sense to plumb up an air supply that could be later driven with a linear piston pump? I currently have a Danner AP-8 running one rack with leftover outlets on it. I just do not like the octopus of airlines, even if I do have a whole roll of the stuff.

Mostly, would it be counterproductive to reroute the 4 outlets of this pump, and/or the 2 outlets of my old supreme dynamaster pump, into one pvc run with drops for each tank? would the outlets fight each other and actually give me less air than I have now? I do have the option of a HUGE blower, a 1/2 horse GAST regenerative blower that I bought on a silly whim quite a few years ago, then decided not to use as it would suck a large amount of power. There are other tanks in the room, and I'd like to mattenfilter some of them eventually, but right now it's just the asthetics of the airlines that bother me more than anything.
:icon_ques

GraphicGr8s 02-05-2013 03:54 AM

Personally until I started running more tanks with air I'd leave it alone. You could get some wire loom and neaten it up like you would a wiring harness. Or staple it down the back leg of your racks. Use staple for wire.

Dynanaster pump? Where do you get the leathers for it anymore? Bad leathers and the noise made me quit using mine.

Contrl 02-05-2013 04:28 AM

I had 3 packages of leathers, don't know what I'll do once they're gone. it'll be awhile, the nois on the other hand.....:icon_cry:

Wicket_lfe 02-05-2013 01:54 PM

Could we get a pic of the room?

;-)

Contrl 02-06-2013 03:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 81626

Attachment 81634

It's still a work in progress, but some just needs tidying.

GraphicGr8s 02-06-2013 04:05 AM

Suuuuwwweeeeeetttttt

LyzzaRyzz 02-06-2013 04:26 AM

Wow! I don't have any advice for you on the air pumps, but I know how annoying the untidy "octopus" look can get! I duct tape mine down.
And your fish room looks awesome!!!!

Contrl 02-06-2013 06:09 AM

thanks the wireties, and duct tape ideas sound good for now....I really think the pumps i've got, properly configured, will work for me for now.

I'm resisting gettign the room tooo full, it makes for a nice smoke free place when the wife's smokin. Humidity stays below 50 as long as it's cold enough to make the heat run.. In summmer I'll probably need a dehumidifier when it's pleasant out, and the air will suck out the moisture when its really hot.

Diana 02-06-2013 06:11 AM

I would start by neatening up what you have.
Perhaps some ceiling hooks to get the stuff off the floor.

You could probably get an expert to suggest how to best run the PVC main and a few simple branches, then a valve for each tank.