The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (
-   General Planted Tank Discussion (
-   -   Stainless steel for java moss carpet? (

Soup12 02-05-2013 02:18 AM

Stainless steel for java moss carpet?
29 Attachment(s)
is this aquarium safe?

i put 2 slabs of stainless steel (with lots of holes) and stuffed java moss to grow into a carpet.

Not sure whats making my water have a kinda whitish tinge to it, could it be the metal? is metal safe?

Green_Flash 02-05-2013 02:44 AM

I like to use ADA ricca stones for moss, with thread, it looks more natural and easier to use. any small rock should work though too.

I would put stainless steel in my tank though, like the filter pipes.

Soup12 02-05-2013 05:04 AM

29 Attachment(s)
it might be aluminum.... its a silver metal... this safe?

should i just switch to a flat plastic that i can tie on java moss to make my carpet?

Darkblade48 02-05-2013 07:21 AM

Stainless steel is safe for sure.

Alumninum may not be, depending on pH.

Plastic would be safe.

lochaber 02-05-2013 07:40 PM

I try to avoid metals out of principle.

Titanium should be safe, and I believe something like 300 series stainless should be, but I can't remember much about the various classifications of stainless steel.

I wouldn't put aluminum in, I think aluminum can be fairly toxic to a lot of things.

would tiles work for what you want? the back is usually unglazed/rough, so the moss should be able to cling to it, and it will sink. If you have trouble holding the moss in place, you could maybe put a piece of mesh over it, superglue the corners/edges, and let it grow through.

Aquaticz 02-05-2013 07:43 PM

Stainless steel for java moss carpet?
Tile may have lead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwheeler91 02-06-2013 02:02 AM

Stones will work just as well and much less expensive. java moss is great at clinging and it doesnt take very long for it grab hold. Small stones and thread and your in business

ghost shrimp 02-06-2013 01:03 PM

Yeah it seems that the "stainless steel" mesh you have is Alum. I would either use rocks and Cotton thread/Fishing line or if you really want some "Stainless Steel" mesh get the true 316 grade. Han/H4n sells them for resonably cheap here in the For Sale/Trade.

ChadRamsey 02-06-2013 05:27 PM

i use the SS from H4n to make my moss fields and it works great

Soup12 03-01-2013 02:09 AM

29 Attachment(s)
i found a plastic screen that works well!

i sandwitched together filling the inside with moss and now its growing out