The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/)
-   Fish (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/21-fish/)
-   -   does this ram have parasites (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/21-fish/234354-does-ram-have-parasites.html)

@marko@ 02-03-2013 09:17 PM

does this ram have parasites

does this female ram look like she has intestinal parasites?
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/1060/img6385u.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

she hasnt really been eating since i got her 11 days ago, and now it looks like she has a distended anus or something.

The Trigger 02-03-2013 09:37 PM

Yeah that's what it looks like. I noticed one of mine had parasites shortly after I got him and he looked very similar. He got really skinny and had the distended anus like yours. Didnt eat at all either. I'd quarantine and treat him ASAP

@marko@ 02-03-2013 09:47 PM

well the male has the same stuff going on. and its been 11 days, so i need to treat the whole 20 gallon tank anyway. plus i have no room to quarantine. ill need to do an in tank treatment.

which med would you reccomend?

The Trigger 02-03-2013 10:18 PM

Well I think I used seachem pariguard and it prevented the other fish from getting infected. My ram wound up dying but at least the whole tank wasn't wiped out. It's usually hit or miss with those medications

wicca27 02-03-2013 10:22 PM

i would use salt and do a salt dip if it was me and the pic is of a male ram not a female.

@marko@ 02-03-2013 10:27 PM

i was under the impression that salt was only good for external parasites.

really? cuz i bought them as a pair, and they do follow each other around. this one is significantly smaller, has the red belly, and has less blue. and has black on the ventral fins. i was under the impression this was the female. either way, it makes little difference to me which is which sex. :)

@marko@ 02-03-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Trigger (Post 2436298)
Well I think I used seachem pariguard and it prevented the other fish from getting infected. My ram wound up dying but at least the whole tank wasn't wiped out. It's usually hit or miss with those medications

according to seachem, this med is for "ectoparasites" and external lesions. not sure if it will work...
on the NJAGC forum somebody mentioned levamisole. thoughts?

stangmus 02-03-2013 10:39 PM

If it is internal i would treat with Metronidazole.

The Trigger 02-03-2013 11:34 PM

Yeah that's a female. That's a long fin variety too. They sell them in my Lfs

The Trigger 02-03-2013 11:35 PM

And I've never used the other mentioned medication. Only time I've ever dealt with parasites was the ram I mentioned before

@marko@ 02-04-2013 03:43 PM

just dosed API general cure into the tank.
it has parziquantel which i know the betta community reccomends for parasites in bettas, and metronidazole which somebody reccomended and i read decent reviews about. hopefully this will be enough to solve the problem.
on the plus side, i got them to eat last night. like actually eat. not too much, but it was their first true meal in my tank.

wicca27 02-04-2013 04:32 PM

im judging on the pointed fins not the length of the fins my males got the pink belly when i had them. is there any way to get a pic of both fish that way i can see the difference between the finage. i can be wrong just would like to see the difference so i know for next time thanks

lamiskool 02-04-2013 04:54 PM

Hope your rams recover...i always hate losing fish. Thankfully none of my fish ever got sick though. I did however lose one the other day when I left for a trip and had my gf feed them and she left the lid off and my odeyssa barb jumped out :(

acitydweller 02-04-2013 05:01 PM

Sorry to hear of this. hope to see a recovery post soon... good luck...

@marko@ 02-04-2013 11:55 PM

saw the male (who is also prolapsed) defecate earlier today. the stool looked normal, so they might not have parasites, and just be finicky eaters adjusting to a new diet.