The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Aqua Clear 30 media order and old media question. (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=232650)

deadfrog 02-01-2013 11:46 PM

Aqua Clear 30 media order and old media question.

My AC30 just arrived! I am not going to use the carbon media and instead going to be using some EHEIM Substrat Pro. I am also going to somehow add my media from my cartridge based filter that I originally cycled the tank with.

My question is, should I stack the old media at the very top? Eventually I will take it out once the EHEIM media gets enough BB.

I am planning on cutting up a cartridge [or two] and putting the insides in a media bag. Is there a better recommended method?

Thanks.

Rich Guano 02-02-2013 05:24 AM

Sounds like you have a good plan. Just be sure everything in the filter stays wet, and doesn't restrict water flow and you'll be fine.

If at all possible, you should just leave your other filter running along side this one. There is a bunch of bacteria living on the filter. You will be less likely to cause an interruption in your tanks cycle. However if your tank has matured for more than a year I would worry less about it.

Good choice on the AC. Money well spent.

deadfrog 02-02-2013 11:50 PM

Thanks. Yes, the AC was a great investment, I think also. So, what I ended up doing was the following:

1. Fill a container with tank water, enough to use as a rinse pod.

2. I cut the cartridges inside the container with tank water but only on the part that had the zeolite, the bottom portions were carbon and probably expired at this point. I threw in the zeolite, some sponge material from the cartridge and the plastic that housed the zeolite into a media bag and stacked that atop the AC30 case, followed by EHEIM Substrat Pro, and sponge included with AC.

3. Rinsed the new AC30 tubing in tank water

4. Started it up... and now I am going to wait about an hour or two and check levels tonight.

ps.
I am loving the flow output from my new AC30 in a 10 gal.

Yankee 02-03-2013 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadfrog (Post 2428242)
Thanks. Yes, the AC was a great investment, I think also. So, what I ended up doing was the following:

1. Fill a container with tank water, enough to use as a rinse pod.

2. I cut the cartridges inside the container with tank water but only on the part that had the zeolite, the bottom portions were carbon and probably expired at this point. I threw in the zeolite, some sponge material from the cartridge and the plastic that housed the zeolite into a media bag and stacked that atop the AC30 case, followed by EHEIM Substrat Pro, and sponge included with AC.

3. Rinsed the new AC30 tubing in tank water

4. Started it up... and now I am going to wait about an hour or two and check levels tonight.

ps.
I am loving the flow output from my new AC30 in a 10 gal.

Sounds good but the extra sponge on top seems a little redundant. You can go sponge>other sponge>all your old zeolite stuff>eheim stuff.

deadfrog 02-03-2013 03:56 AM

Hey Yankee, totally agree. I should clarify, I only put in bits and pieces of cut up sponge, nothing that would hinder water flow, plus, I plan on taking that media out in about 2 weeks and then placing another EHEIM SP pouch or maybe doing Seachem Purigen.

~ fv

Yankee 02-03-2013 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadfrog (Post 2430162)
Hey Yankee, totally agree. I should clarify, I only put in bits and pieces of cut up sponge, nothing that would hinder water flow, plus, I plan on taking that media out in about 2 weeks and then placing another EHEIM SP pouch or maybe doing Seachem Purigen.

~ fv

Sounds good! Just the order of it sounded a little redundant. Basically your set up was doing: Take all solid crap out of the water -> convert harmful chemicals into less harmful chemicals -> take solid crap out of the water. The sponge is there to take out solid waste particles and will grow some good bacteria on it as well but primarily (in your setup) your other media is there for chemical filtration.

deadfrog 02-03-2013 05:40 AM

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.