The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (
-   Shrimp & Other Invertebrates (
-   -   Worm in Cherry Shrimp tank? (

tekkguy 02-01-2013 03:03 PM

Worm in Cherry Shrimp tank?
I have a 5 gallon tank that contains nothing but hitchhiking snails and some cherry shrimp.

Since the RCS were the only livestock I was adding, and they all came from the same place (who can resist 3/$1?) I didn't quarantine any of them.

This morning, there was a worm swimming in the tank. The tank has been up and running empty (again, except for snails and plants) for about a month.

When I first saw the worm, I thought it was a cabomba leaf, because I have some purple cabomba that I'm fighting a bit of leaf loss on. Then I realized that I wasn't seeing a leaf at an odd angle, but a free-swimming worm.

The worm was about 3/4" long and white - very, very thin. I have a message to the seller asking about parasite problems he might have had, but the tank my shrimp came from has never held fish according to him. I want to add some kind of fish to this tank once it grows in some and the RCS are a bit better established, but I'm worried about the worm!

Any ideas?

Betta Maniac 02-01-2013 03:15 PM

Does it look like it's spazzing out as it swims? If so, it's just a harmless nematode. Chekck ou the "What is this bug" thread:

tekkguy 02-01-2013 03:33 PM

That is exactly what it sounds like. Thanks! Hopefully no more will pop up, but if they do at least I know they're not harmful.

Jadelin 02-01-2013 06:46 PM

Fish love eating nematodes; I had a few of the little red ones in my substrate for a while and whenever I did water changes my goldfish would chase them down.

Betta Maniac 02-01-2013 07:14 PM

There is a whole world of itty bitty bug life in my shrimp only tank (all the plants came from my commnity tank, where I assume the fish eat all the little critters).

tekkguy 02-01-2013 09:47 PM

Well, if I had realized it was harmless at the time, I would have left it until fish are added later. Better safe than sorry though, so into some bleach it went.