The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/)
-   Shrimp & Other Invertebrates (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/88-shrimp-other-invertebrates/)
-   -   How to Nuke a shrimp tank of unwanted shrimp? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/88-shrimp-other-invertebrates/231730-how-nuke-shrimp-tank-unwanted-shrimp.html)

StrungOut 01-31-2013 11:49 PM

How to Nuke a shrimp tank of unwanted shrimp?

Of course I'll try and catch as many as I can and sell em off but there will be babies and such that I just can't get to. My question is in the title and I want 100% clear of all shrimp, not one alive remaining. I ask this question because I'm thinking of acquiring a new shrimp of the same species. Thanks for help

ThatGuyWithTheFish 01-31-2013 11:55 PM

Make a shrimp trap and put their favorite food in there, and sell/RAOK any that you catch. Do it a few times, THEN overdose on something like excel or algeafix.

Soothing Shrimp 01-31-2013 11:56 PM

How about raising the temp to as high as possible for a couple days? (100F) Of course you'd have to remove the plants first.

StrungOut 01-31-2013 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatGuyWithTheFish (Post 2411178)
Make a shrimp trap and put their favorite food in there, and sell/RAOK any that you catch. Do it a few times, THEN overdose on something like excel or algeafix.

I don't think excel will do the trick but maybe algaefix, I think Tom Barr did this but didn't he still have shrimp make it.

Quote:

How about raising the temp to as high as possible for a couple days? (100F) Of course you'd have to remove the plants first.
Thats a great idea but I have no heaters

freph 02-01-2013 12:11 AM

Nuke the tank with CO2. Barr himself has commented a few times about its ability to eradicate shrimp. It's used in setups with emersed plants to kill things like pill bugs as well (drop dry ice in the tank). Also, what do you see most deaths on the forum resulting from? ;)

Slingo 02-01-2013 12:19 AM

Hmmm what about something high in copper? Aquarium medication like coppersafe maybe? Although I don't know if a couple of water changes would make the aquarium safe after that.

Computer Science 02-01-2013 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slingo (Post 2411466)
Hmmm what about something high in copper? Aquarium medication like coppersafe maybe? Although I don't know if a couple of water changes would make the aquarium safe after that.

I don't think that's a good idea because there could be traces of copper left over; that wouldn't be good for his new shrimp

mordalphus 02-01-2013 12:34 AM

Boil it!

Or turn off all filters etc and seran wrap the top and pump the water full of co2

homemadepopcorn 02-01-2013 12:37 AM

Why don't you just use excel and bump the CO2 all at the same time?

Or just dump your tank out and rescape..?

freph 02-01-2013 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homemadepopcorn (Post 2411706)
Why don't you just use excel and bump the CO2 all at the same time?

Or just dump your tank out and rescape..?

Too much Excel carries the potential of melting plants and since it's a biocide it carries a risk of heavily impacting your beneficial bacteria levels. Why rescape? The only goal here is to get rid of shrimp. :icon_ques

CPDzeke 02-01-2013 01:20 AM

Add something that eats shrimp...

stevenjohn21 02-01-2013 01:22 AM

Make a trap and then throw some fish in until your new shrimp arrive.

MSG 02-01-2013 01:22 AM

CO2 sounds like interesting if you have enough.

Or you could siphon out most of the water. Corral the shrimp & then roak them.

Empty out a few trays of ice cubes into the water to freeze/shock the rest of them.

Then refill with a couple gallons & put some fish in there to clean up the remains.

Make it fun for everyone.

sayurasem 02-01-2013 01:22 AM

Co2 gets my vote. That's how I nuked my tank full of scuds. No chemical involves and plants don't die. (Lights off while overdosing co2).

Mathman 02-01-2013 01:24 AM

You guys are evil.