The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Aquascaping (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   My first tank (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=231154)

AlanLe 01-31-2013 07:22 AM

My first tank

This is my first planted tank. Thanks to everyone on this forum for guiding me to the right direction.

Attachment 77914

Attachment 77922
Attachment 77930
Attachment 77938
Attachment 77946
Attachment 77954
Attachment 77962
Attachment 77970
Attachment 77978

Hishifishy 01-31-2013 08:08 AM

Interesting design! So organized too! How long have the plants been growing out? Are you going for a full lawn? Maybe this could benefit from a few more larger plants?

AlanLe 01-31-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hishifishy (Post 2405578)
Interesting design! So organized too! How long have the plants been growing out? Are you going for a full lawn? Maybe this could benefit from a few more larger plants?

Thanks! Actually I dont want the tank to look too busy with larger plants. I just hope the HC will grow and cover the floor in 2 months. Most of the plants in this tank are 2 months old. The HC is new, crossing my fingers on it.

l8nite 01-31-2013 08:42 AM

Agree, very organized :D I see you're in San Jose - you should consider joining SFBAAPS :)

Also I notice you're doing your micros on the same day as your macros - you might want to alternate days or make sure you dose them a minute or two apart, as the macros/micros can interact and precipitate out of solution

HybridHerp 01-31-2013 01:57 PM

Hey, you're using the same diffuser as I am :P

I find it a little hard to judge your scape since it is growing in still, but one thing that I immediatly noticed was that you have the red cabomba right next to wallichi.....I'd move them away from eachother because they are rather similar in terms of apperance (fine leafed and red). Aside from that, I also fel like perhaps you should get some larger rooted plants, like a lace plant or a big old sword or even a large crypt (or lagenandra if you come across a good piece).

Aside from that

AlanLe 01-31-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l8nite (Post 2405682)
Agree, very organized :D I see you're in San Jose - you should consider joining SFBAAPS :)

Also I notice you're doing your micros on the same day as your macros - you might want to alternate days or make sure you dose them a minute or two apart, as the macros/micros can interact and precipitate out of solution

Thanks for the info. I'll dose the trace elements on Tuesday and Wednesday instead. Do you think I also need iron? EI dosing guide does not list this fert.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HybridHerp (Post 2406482)
Hey, you're using the same diffuser as I am :P

I find it a little hard to judge your scape since it is growing in still, but one thing that I immediatly noticed was that you have the red cabomba right next to wallichi.....I'd move them away from eachother because they are rather similar in terms of apperance (fine leafed and red). Aside from that, I also fel like perhaps you should get some larger rooted plants, like a lace plant or a big old sword or even a large crypt (or lagenandra if you come across a good piece).

Aside from that

I'll probably move the cabomba and wallichi out. My main concern is the HC. I don't know if it will grow or not. My water parameter is pH 7.2, KH 9.5. Do you think I should lower KH down a bit?

stevenjohn21 01-31-2013 07:36 PM

Great start ! My cabinets look that organized for a week if im lucky !
For a less "busy look" you might want to try a plain dark background. The plants and fish will "pop" more and make things look a lot neater...... Just my 2c ;-)

AlanLe 01-31-2013 07:55 PM

My first tank

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenjohn21 (Post 2408682)
Great start ! My cabinets look that organized for a week if im lucky !
For a less "busy look" you might want to try a plain dark background. The plants and fish will "pop" more and make things look a lot neater...... Just my 2c ;-)

Im thinking of painting the tank to dark blue or black but it's hard to move things around with the water, plants and fishes already in placed. My only option is to replace film.

CPDzeke 01-31-2013 10:38 PM

Great! Way better than my first tank at least in the beginning

GMYukonon24s 02-01-2013 12:54 AM

Nice first tank.

Riversun 02-01-2013 01:40 AM

Thay ci background pha sau thnh decal mu đen đi bạn, nhn hồ sẽ đẹp hơn đ. Trồng thm nhiều cy pha sau nữa, kiếm loại cy c mu đỏ trồng theo nhm tạo thm điểm nhấn cho hồ, 1 thng sau trn chu cuba b full hồ sẽ đẹp lắm đy. Thn

AlanLe 02-01-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riversun (Post 2411730)
Thay ci background pha sau thnh decal mu đen đi bạn, nhn hồ sẽ đẹp hơn đ. Trồng thm nhiều cy pha sau nữa, kiếm loại cy c mu đỏ trồng theo nhm tạo thm điểm nhấn cho hồ, 1 thng sau trn chu cuba b full hồ sẽ đẹp lắm đy. Thn

Em cung mong la tran chau Cuba se moc. Anh co biet trong loai cay nay o?

Riversun 02-02-2013 04:04 AM

My first tank

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanLe (Post 2417786)
Em cung mong la tran chau Cuba se moc. Anh co biet trong loai cay nay o?

Trn chu cuba cần 3 điều kiện để pht triển tốt:
1. Nước phải sạch, mỗi tuần thay 30% nước hồ, kết hợp ht cặn bẩn dưới đy.
2. nh sng đầy đủ, khoảng 1w/1 lt, kết hợp co2 khoảng 3-4 giọt/ 1 giy.
3. Nhiệt độ mt, khoảng 24-25 độ C.
Chc e c hồ đẹp nh. :)

AlanLe 02-04-2013 06:48 AM

My first tank

Just few of my HC seem to melt. Is this normal?
Attachment 80178

The rest of the HC are fine.
Attachment 80186

The front and rear glass seem to have green spots. They are really tough to clean off. Are these algae?
Attachment 80194

karce87 02-04-2013 03:14 PM

melting HC when first planted is normal. It needs time to take root. After that, If the condition is right, it will grow. The green algae is called green dot algae. Just use scraper or some type of card to clean it out