The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Low Tech Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Low Tech Driftwood leaching tannins (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=230306)

BrokeCurmudgeon 01-30-2013 05:19 PM

Low Tech Driftwood leaching tannins

I placed a piece of Mopani wood into my Fluval Edge 46l tank. I soaked the wood for a week changing the water every few hours until the water was relatively clear. It has now been in the tank for two months and is still coloring the water so that I have to do water changes every other day. Worse than before going into the tank. I am looking for some collective wisdom and advice. Thanks

scapegoat 01-30-2013 05:23 PM

i had a piece of wood leach tannin for over a year

UDGags 01-30-2013 05:24 PM

Re: Low Tech Driftwood leaching tannins

Just be patient....takes a long time sometimes.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Slangrunner 01-30-2013 05:30 PM

I actually pre boil the wood prior to soaking, but my piece of mopani is still leaching tannins and it's been in the water for about 18 months. I have not done a trial to see if boiling speeds the leeching process or if Im just extra paranoid about parasites.

amberoze 01-30-2013 05:31 PM

Re: Low Tech Driftwood leaching tannins

Tannins are actually good for most species of fish and inverts. Most people just don't like them because it darkens the water to a tea color. If you want them gone without water changes, stick some purigen in tour filter.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

BrokeCurmudgeon 01-30-2013 05:43 PM

Thanks!

Thanks for all the reply's! I will just have to have more patience.:icon_bigg

Dave-H 01-30-2013 05:47 PM

same thing for me!
6 months of purigen and my water was clear.

daylily 01-30-2013 11:50 PM

I boiled and soaked my driftwood, yet when put in tank, the water was brown/amber in one day.

I have an Aquaclear HOB on the tank, which is 15 gallon. I bought a second Aquaclear and put bio spheres and Purigen in it and within 2 days the water was clear, not stained, and has stayed that way.

Zolek 01-30-2013 11:59 PM

I have a piece if mopani wood that still leeches tannins noticeably after being boiled for about 10 hours and almost 5 years underwater in tanks. Your mileage may vary...

Absntmind 01-31-2013 02:45 AM

It's not a solution as the only thing you can really do is soak it until all the tanis leaches out, though some find Seachem Purigen helps. I used it in my tank for a while my tank was getting established and it appeared to help.

RickRS 01-31-2013 12:51 PM

More plugs for Purigen. The stuff is excellent at absorbing tannin. Cleared up a 40 gallon within 3 days, then it remain clear for months.

tiggity 01-31-2013 01:26 PM

Purigen helps.

Also I tried API Bio-Chem Zorb and it clears the water just as well. The downside is that it's not regenerable and a little expensive.

BrokeCurmudgeon 01-31-2013 03:06 PM

Thanks again for the reply's. I am using an Eheim ECCO 2232 filter. Would one use a media bag and Purigen and if so how much?

Absntmind 01-31-2013 03:35 PM

I have a fluval 406 and used two bags side by side as the trays are divided. I purchased 100ml purigen as it is the only way to get it pre bagged. Two bags, one on each side of a tray worked for my filter. Just make sure you rinse them well first.

If you have the money and going to be using purigen for a while, it is worth it to purchase a couple extra. This way while you are recharging you can just switch them out. Also worth noting: Soak in water with Prime for a period after recharging! Make sure to read up on it. Another tip, if storing spare bags which have been used, keep them wet. A ziplock bag after soaking them would work.

If you are going with bagging it yourself, I would use the bags from seachem. Purigen is really fine and I have heard stories of it working through pantyhose and other bags.

Just my .02