The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   DIY (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Plan or drawing site/free utility? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=229266)

drewsuf82 01-29-2013 05:30 PM

Plan or drawing site/free utility?
 
I'm planning a few projects and wondering if anyone knows of any good ones or if its just better to do it by hand.

Thanks in advance!

Razorworm 01-29-2013 05:41 PM

Google Sketchup is great! I use it for furnature design, hardscape design, metal work...skys the limit...oh yeah....it's free

scapegoat 01-29-2013 05:45 PM

that depends on what your projects are too

discgo 01-29-2013 06:33 PM

I like printing off grid paper I find online for sketching.

scapegoat 01-29-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by discgo (Post 2388226)
I like printing off grid paper I find online for sketching.

that's a huge waste of ink/cash. go buy some grid paper for a fraction of the cost

drewsuf82 01-29-2013 07:39 PM

It's nothing large, just trying to make a plan for a multi tank project that my poor drawing skills would really get in the way lol

drazend 01-29-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razorworm (Post 2387874)
Google Sketchup is great! I use it for furnature design, hardscape design, metal work...skys the limit...oh yeah....it's free

I second Google Sketchup. There's a learning curve if you've never used it before, but once you get the hang of it, it's very handy.

discgo 01-29-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scapegoat (Post 2388314)
that's a huge waste of ink/cash. go buy some grid paper for a fraction of the cost

I've done this twice in the last three years or so. I also use the draft settings for printing it. I suppose it would make more sense to drive to the office supply store and buy a package of grid paper.

I am starting to wonder if thinking outside the box is not welcome on this site.

scapegoat 01-29-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by discgo (Post 2389330)
I've done this twice in the last three years or so. I also use the draft settings for printing it. I suppose it would make more sense to drive to the office supply store and buy a package of grid paper.

I am starting to wonder if thinking outside the box is not welcome on this site.

I'm starting to think people get offended way to easily for being offered different options.

drewsuf82 01-29-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scapegoat (Post 2388314)
that's a huge waste of ink/cash. go buy some grid paper for a fraction of the cost

A few sheets of graphing paper aren't going to break the ink bank but I could see that if you printed like 100 sheets :)

I'm going to check out the sketch thing when I get home

discgo 01-29-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scapegoat (Post 2389466)
I'm starting to think people get offended way to easily for being offered different options.

Different options weren't really offered in this case. One idea was presented as being wasteful and expensive while the "correct way" was being pointed out. I'm sorry I took offense to it and will work on not rocking the boat since I am new and don't know I am giving bad advice.

scapegoat 01-29-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewsuf82 (Post 2389506)
A few sheets of graphing paper aren't going to break the ink bank but I could see that if you printed like 100 sheets :)

I'm going to check out the sketch thing when I get home

most definitely not, but its good to have a bunch on hand. I don't know the last time I've sketched something out perfect the first few times.

google sketchup is great, but there is a lot to learn. I'd suggest watching some how to videos on anything related to it!

AnotherHobby 01-29-2013 11:19 PM

Sketchup (no longer owned by google) is fantastic and free. Yeah, there is a learning curve, but also plenty of videos and stuff on how to use it. I use it quite a bit because I am challenged at the art of using a pencil to make something recognizable.

blink 01-30-2013 06:37 AM

Last time I looked at autocad they offered a 30 day full featured trial, but the learning curve may make Sketchup a much better option.
Very powerful software if you take some time to familiarize yourself with it however.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.