The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Plants (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Best carpet plant for low-tech? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=229242)

TetraFan 01-29-2013 05:10 PM

Best carpet plant for low-tech?

Hey there! I am looking for suggestions on a good plant to use as a carpet in a low-tech situation (no CO2/Excel) - if possible, one that will grow okay in gravel (with no planting substrate). If I can't do a carpet with no planting substrate, I will have to think about mixing some in with the gravel. My tank has planting substrate at the back and gravel at the front, but I have decided I want to get my tank more heavily planted - the pics on this site are making me too jealous!

Hoppy 01-29-2013 05:16 PM

I have been researching this same question. Only, I will have ADA Aquasoil as a substrate. At this time my opinion is that we are pretty limited if we want a low growing substrate, perhaps with Marsilea minuta being the only one that will reliably grow well and low. I plan to use Sagittaria subulata, but it will give me a "lawn" that is much more likely to be 3 inches tall than 1 inch tall. The usual low growing, carpet plants all seem to need more light and/or CO2 to do at all well at growing low and dense. I think most people who have success with those in "low light" actually have much more light than they think.

arbai89 01-29-2013 05:39 PM

moss for sure will work
i think it would work best with a mesh / moss plant method.

personally im low tech and trying to do dwarf sag.

GeToChKn 01-29-2013 05:41 PM

I'm doing DHG in a 10 gal, 2x13w cfl's in a standard hood, excel 3x a week, aquasoil and root tabs and in the past month since I set it up, I can see 30-40 runners starting all over the tank, so in a few months I expect it to fill in the entire tank. Not sure how well it would do without the excel, root tabs or aquasoil though.

JoeGREEEN 01-29-2013 05:51 PM

Dwarf Sag. Also crypt parva lots of It

TetraFan 01-29-2013 05:57 PM

Won't dwarf sag be fairly tall?

wicca27 01-29-2013 07:30 PM

dwarf sag and it can be "mowed" with scissors if it gets to tall lol i do it all the time and it does not need plant substrate just gravel works well and will help it stay smaller too from what i have noticed in my tanks

Kehy 01-30-2013 04:44 AM

My "dwarf" sag is about 12" in my 1/2 gallon low tech bowl. Makes a slightly more manageable alternative to vals, but not a foreground plant in my book.

Couesfanatic 01-30-2013 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeToChKn (Post 2387882)
I'm doing DHG in a 10 gal, 2x13w cfl's in a standard hood, excel 3x a week, aquasoil and root tabs and in the past month since I set it up, I can see 30-40 runners starting all over the tank, so in a few months I expect it to fill in the entire tank. Not sure how well it would do without the excel, root tabs or aquasoil though.

Got any pics?

Neatfish 01-30-2013 05:10 AM

I could never get DHG to grow in my tank. Maybe I'll try it again with the new 10k light.

pejerrey 01-30-2013 05:50 AM

Best carpet plant for low-tech?

Would FSS be as good as Ada AS? I have a friend who's wanting a carpet without co2... Therefore I'm helping him set up a low light tank. A planted shrimp tank.

Smitty06 01-30-2013 06:25 AM

No, FSS will need root tabs to be close, as far as nutrients goes, to aquasoil.

extrame 01-30-2013 07:30 AM

Hi,
I have success with dwarf sag as my foreground carpet plant. Just don't let the tall plants block the light source so that I would not grow tall

h4n 01-30-2013 11:47 AM

Marsilea Quadrifolia
Marsilea minuta
Crypt parva
Moss

Anything else, I think will grow but will grow tall and leggy.

I'm also growing Echinodorus tenellus in a low light tank but seriously grows so slow!
after about 3 weeks I finally see runners.

TonyK 01-30-2013 03:46 PM

I didn't think Dwarf Sag could be "mowed". I think I am going that route. I am sry starting a tank and picked up some micro sword for a carpet will see how goes. My substrate is Miracle Grow (orange bag) with a sand cap.