algae in filter (mini bow)
I have a 2.5 gallon mini bow with a 10 watt light. I have it on my desk in my dorm and everything up until this point has been running fine.
I had a family emergency this weekend and had to fly home. I set up a timer so the light was supposed to go on and off every twelve hours. But I don't think it worked so I believe the tank has been lit for the past four days.
The majority of the tank looks okay. There doesn't seem to be much algae until I looked at the filter. The filter pad is completely covered in what appears to be three or four different types of algae. I can't even see the filter itself.
What is the best way of dealing with this? Just chuck the pad and replace it? I just ordered a replacement but it will take a few days to come.
The filter is in direct line of the light so how can I stop this from happening again.
The occupants of the tank are a betta and two amanos. They can't reach the filter. Could I maybe throw a snail into the tank? Would it be able to graze on the filter? Or am I just going to need to be constantly replacing the media. It shouldn't happen as fast if timer doesn't malfunction again but I imagine it will still be building up?
This is the first appearance of algae in m tank so I don't really know what to do.
This is precisely why it seems designers never use the products they design. The light does hang over the filter pad and the algae IMO will always grow there (nutrients+light-plants=algae)
The problem with throwing out the filter material is that you are removing the bacteria that process aquarium waste.
We got rid of this little aquarium rather quickly because of this issue (as many others did with Fluval Chi. The only thing I can think of is to remove the filter itself and find a small internal filter for the tank.
What type of filter is this? HOB or canister?
|All times are GMT. The time now is 09:27 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.