The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Tank Journals (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   40 gallon planted breeder build (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=228722)

Amwaskom 01-29-2013 01:52 AM

40 gallon planted breeder build

2 Attachment(s)
Well I have always loved the dimensions of a 40 gallon breeder, but it is extremely hard to find a quality stand for those dimensions. (Mostly due to the fact that usually they are put on cheap stands that hold multiple tanks in fish rooms). Well, I have freed up some space in a spare bedroom and have decided to build my own quality stand for the 40 breeder I picked up.

I don't know what I am going to stock it with yet, but it will be a low light planted tank.

The best part is that it is built with scrap wood and didn't cost a dime!

Amwaskom 01-29-2013 01:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I plan on lighting the tank with decorative pendent lighting hanging off a floating shelf. I am also going to have it back lit with a small led.
I used a silver metallic paint on this stand to match the gray monotone theme of the room.

Amwaskom 01-29-2013 02:01 AM

8 Attachment(s)
The door is made of aluminum surrounded by pine boards and rests on magnets instead of hinges.

Amwaskom 01-29-2013 02:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Finished stand:

Amwaskom 01-29-2013 02:10 AM

6 Attachment(s)
The back of the tank is back lit with a small RGB LED light strip. The back of the tank was frosted to let the LED shine through. Since I am not going to use a canopy and this is not a rimless tank, I sanded down the black rim and paint it a metallic silver to match the stand.

Amwaskom 01-29-2013 02:15 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here is the tank and stand put together with the LED in back. Also I have attached a link for a short video of the back lighting. You can change the color of the back light and choose if you want it to stay one color, pulse different colors, or fade in and out. I am still working on the pendant lighting for the tank. Overall I am please with how it turned out. Any constructive criticism is welcome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDvnaYXqjic

Sea_Of_Treachery 01-29-2013 07:04 AM

Dude....this is going to be sick. Love what you did with the background and scape! Low light all the way. I really want a 40B.

LyzzaRyzz 01-29-2013 08:23 AM

That background is awesome! Did you do it yourself? Can't wait for more!

Assassynation 01-29-2013 08:25 AM

Wow, that background is a great idea. You know, maybe program some reds/orange/yellows in there for a sunrise/sunset effect. I will experiment with this on my next tank. The youtube link doesn't work either.

Amwaskom 01-29-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyzzaRyzz (Post 2385186)
That background is awesome! Did you do it yourself? Can't wait for more!

Yea I just bought a spray paint for frosting the back. It was very easy, just be sure to do 1 light layer at a time.

Amwaskom 01-29-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Assassynation (Post 2385210)
Wow, that background is a great idea. You know, maybe program some reds/orange/yellows in there for a sunrise/sunset effect. I will experiment with this on my next tank. The youtube link doesn't work either.

Thanks, I think I fixed the link.

pirayaman 01-29-2013 12:29 PM

yeah buddy that looks great. love those rocks on the left.

tiggity 01-29-2013 01:11 PM

WOW. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

That is all I can say.

Great job on this (stand too)!

Amwaskom 01-30-2013 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pirayaman (Post 2385506)
yeah buddy that looks great. love those rocks on the left.

Thanks. They are lava rocks that I picked up for free at the stone yard. The guy was into fish and just gave them to me.

BoxxerBoyDrew 01-30-2013 05:57 AM

WOW,

Great Build!!! The stand looks really good! I really like the frosted background too!

Can't wait to see it scaped and filled!!!

Subscribed,
Drew