The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Purchased used Eheim filter and have questions (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=228042)

gregor 01-28-2013 02:07 PM

Purchased used Eheim filter and have questions
 
Hi,

I purchased the following filter second hand:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/eheim-ec...r-media-60-gal

...and I'm missing the bottom layer of plastic(?) filtration media shaped like cylinders, and the layer of little rock looking things in the layer above that (biological?).

I think I've identified what they are:

Bottom cylinder layer:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/ehfimech-1l

Layer above that:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/ehfisubstrat-pro-1l

So my questions:

  1. Do I have the right products?
  2. Are there any cheaper alternatives that I can use to replace the official Eheim stuff? (hopefully)
  3. In what amounts should I puchase for my particular filter?
The user manual is quite unhelpful for this matter. It assumed I already have this stuff and doesn't give any details.


Thanks!

somewhatshocked 01-28-2013 02:30 PM

You can use any ceramic ring media you like. Doesn't have to be expensive Eheim stuff, though I use it and enjoy it. The kind of media you use is up to your personal taste. Many like ceramic rings, sponges, crushed lava rock, pot scrubbers, filter floss, etc.

Purchase the amount listed in the filter specification/documentation listed on Eheim's website for your particular filter. Typically listed in volume.

gregor 01-28-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somewhatshocked (Post 2375818)
You can use any ceramic ring media you like. Doesn't have to be expensive Eheim stuff, though I use it and enjoy it. The kind of media you use is up to your personal taste. Many like ceramic rings, sponges, crushed lava rock, pot scrubbers, filter floss, etc.

Purchase the amount listed in the filter specification/documentation listed on Eheim's website for your particular filter. Typically listed in volume.

Great, thanks.

Are you saying that I should use this media in both the layers I point out in the OP? I'm confused, sorry.

somewhatshocked 01-28-2013 02:58 PM

No...?

I'm telling you that you can use whatever media you like in your filter.

Visit eheim.com if you want illustrated guides for layering ideas.

People generally start with the most course layer on the bottom and have the finest layer on the top.

BenderBendingRodriguez 01-28-2013 03:08 PM

For example, I use about 2 inches of ceramic rings in my 2213, then a blue coarse filter pad followed by substrat-pro for the remainder of the volume. I use this on a tank without much solid waste and it works just fine. (Main purpose being biological filtration.)

gregor 01-28-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somewhatshocked (Post 2376106)
No...?

I'm telling you that you can use whatever media you like in your filter.

Visit eheim.com if you want illustrated guides for layering ideas.

People generally start with the most course layer on the bottom and have the finest layer on the top.

The problem for me, without any experience in canister filters, is that "using whatever media I like" is meaningless to me. I don't have a base of knowledge here to start from. Thanks anyhow though.

The only guide on eheim.com I can find is the one I link to in the OP. Seems like they just stole the graphic.

Quote:

For example, I use about 2 inches of ceramic rings in my 2213, then a blue coarse filter pad followed by substrat-pro for the remainder of the volume. I use this on a tank without much solid waste and it works just fine. (Main purpose being biological filtration.)
Hmm, OK.

So as far as their scrub sponges go, could they replace both layers I described in the OP? It seems like that would work from what I'm reading.

Bascially, it looks like from here:

http://www.eheim.com/en_GB/guide/fre...tration-works#

I need something to replace the mechanical and biological layers. I'm guessing I can use the scrubbie sponge to at least replace the mechanical.

BenderBendingRodriguez 01-28-2013 03:31 PM

So here is a guide from Rex Grigg on how he cleans and sets up his eheim classic:

http://www.rexgrigg.com/Eheim%20Clas...structions.htm

Hope that helps.

exv152 01-28-2013 03:38 PM

There's only two types; mechanical and biologial. For your first time with a canister I would recommend you stick with the eheim brand until you become more familiar with the two types. Besides, eheim products will last you a lifetime with the exception of the fine white floss pads.

gregor 01-28-2013 04:59 PM

Thanks for all the advice so far folks. It's been a big help.

Also, I found this which has helped me understand what's going on here:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebi...iltrmedart.htm

talontsiawd 01-28-2013 05:19 PM

What you linked is what comes with the filter. In terms of using something else, I can't see how Eheim ceramic rings could be better than another brand so if I ever replaced mine, I would personally just buy a different brand. Nothing is wrong with buying the Eheim brand, the point is you really get the same from any brand.

I have always just setup my filters how they are advertised, minus the carbon. Well, I will use carbon if it comes with the filter and take it out on first cleaning and not replace it. Other than that, the only media I have added is Purigen by Seachem.

gregor 01-28-2013 05:34 PM

Eheim's sites is seriously the worst ever.

Clicking on the FAQ link here, for example, goes to a 404. Clicking on the link for the manual or FAQ on the product page goes to a 404. Terrible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by talontsiawd (Post 2377482)
What you linked is what comes with the filter. In terms of using something else, I can't see how Eheim ceramic rings could be better than another brand so if I ever replaced mine, I would personally just buy a different brand. Nothing is wrong with buying the Eheim brand, the point is you really get the same from any brand.

I have always just setup my filters how they are advertised, minus the carbon. Well, I will use carbon if it comes with the filter and take it out on first cleaning and not replace it. Other than that, the only media I have added is Purigen by Seachem.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm bascially just trying to avoid paying Eheim's premium.

exv152 01-28-2013 05:43 PM

IMO this is the best biological media out there. http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...es/Matrix.html

Simplicity 01-28-2013 05:47 PM

Purchased used Eheim filter and have questions
 
+1 matrix

gregor 01-28-2013 07:58 PM

Here's another post that details a lot of options. This is pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...o-Filter-Media

Hope that helps someone :)

somewhatshocked 01-28-2013 08:05 PM

gregor: Some of the options I mentioned: ceramic rings (any brand), sponges, crushed lava rock, pot scrubbers, filter floss.

Matrix is great if you can find it on sale.

Most of my tanks are setup with ceramic rings, the Eheim stuff or matrix, then sponges, then polishing stuff like filter floss or pads and finally a pillow or two of Purigen.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.