The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Lighting (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   I Need New Lights ASAP! Would this work? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=227250)

GiveIt2MeNerdy 01-27-2013 08:29 PM

I Need New Lights ASAP! Would this work?
 
Hey Everyone!

I'm in desperate need of new lighting for my 55-gallon freshwater (I'm currently running only 1, 32-watt florescent which is obviously not cutting it) , but I am on a very strict budget, so I'm really looking to get a lot of bang for my buck ;)

I came across this lighting system and I'm really leaning towards it simply because of the price, but I would REALLY appreciate some opinions here:

http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fa...1#.UQWbkfLueSo

Would this be a good idea?

mitchfish9 01-27-2013 08:42 PM

Diamond Plate shop light

If you are running a low tech tank, then don't even bother with all those t5's. This light is only 2 t8 bulbs, but it has some of the best reflectors you can find. So if you buy this you would want to raise it about 5 inches or put a layer of window screen under it

GiveIt2MeNerdy 01-27-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchfish9 (Post 2369426)
Diamond Plate shop light

If you are running a low tech tank, then don't even bother with all those t5's. This light is only 2 t8 bulbs, but it has some of the best reflectors you can find. So if you buy this you would want to raise it about 5 inches or put a layer of window screen under it

Hey thanks!

My tank is high tech, so would they work?

The link you posted tanks me to a dead end?

Bubba Shrimp 01-27-2013 09:15 PM

They would work fine.

kevmo911 01-27-2013 09:24 PM

This was the intended link:

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/lithoni...1241dp-re.html

aznartist34 01-27-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GiveIt2MeNerdy (Post 2369506)
Hey thanks!

My tank is high tech, so would they work?

The link you posted tanks me to a dead end?

High tech implies high light, pressurized co2 and feet dozing. I suggest you read more into lighting and co2 before you dive into high lighting and save yourself a lot of frustration with algae and such in the future.

Rich Guano 01-27-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aznartist34 (Post 2369882)
High tech implies high light, pressurized co2 and feet dozing. I suggest you read more into lighting and co2 before you dive into high lighting and save yourself a lot of frustration with algae and such in the future.

What is feet dozing?

He is right, your gonna get better bang for you buck staying low tech. Why don't you slip over to the low tech section and see what all the fuss is about.

Your 55 tank looks good so far. If your having trouble with it let us know whats going on.

Steve001 01-27-2013 10:44 PM

Yes, What is feet dozing ? And why would they want too doze their feet that's assuming it's their feet and not my feet they are talking. Perhaps this is a construction project that requires using their feet.

GiveIt2MeNerdy 01-27-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aznartist34 (Post 2369882)
High tech implies high light, pressurized co2 and feet dozing. I suggest you read more into lighting and co2 before you dive into high lighting and save yourself a lot of frustration with algae and such in the future.

Thanks, I'm aware. My tank does have CO2 injection and ferts. What's missing is the lighting.

GiveIt2MeNerdy 01-27-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Guano (Post 2370098)
What is feet dozing?

He is right, your gonna get better bang for you buck staying low tech. Why don't you slip over to the low tech section and see what all the fuss is about.

Your 55 tank looks good so far. If your having trouble with it let us know whats going on.

Wow. So I checked out the low-tech forum and holy moly!!! Some of those tanks are absolutely breath-taking and dare I say, some even more so than some high-tech tanks that I've seen. Definitely makes you think twice about spending so much money on tank supplies when you can get something that beautiful with next to nothing cost.

Rich Guano 01-27-2013 11:08 PM

I am very proud of you. This is a wonderful moment. Where shall we begin. It is time for you to take a walk on the dirt side.

mitchfish9 01-28-2013 03:33 AM

Sorry about the link. And the low tech forum and dustinsfish tanks is what inspired my originally to show how much I could do while going low tech.

But if you are going low tech and want a reliable fixture, that is about as cheap as it gets. You would want to raise it some if you are doing low tech. And if its high tech it can sit right on top of the tank.

aznartist34 01-28-2013 06:09 AM

Damn auto correct, you know what I mean. For high tech diy co2 isn't enough for a large tank unless you have several gallon containers of the yeast mixtures, you need pressurized co2 keep up with demands on a consistent basis.

Yankee 01-28-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GiveIt2MeNerdy (Post 2370762)
Thanks, I'm aware. My tank does have CO2 injection and ferts. What's missing is the lighting.

This is a great budget fixture for a high tech 55:
http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/stor...8&reviews_id=2

GiveIt2MeNerdy 01-28-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aznartist34 (Post 2374362)
Damn auto correct, you know what I mean. For high tech diy co2 isn't enough for a large tank unless you have several gallon containers of the yeast mixtures, you need pressurized co2 keep up with demands on a consistent basis.

Well it's enough CO2 to crash my pH from 8.4 to 6.5, so DIY or not it's certainly having a great effect on my tank.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.