The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   CO2 System Question (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=226538)

Low_t Tom 01-27-2013 01:39 AM

CO2 System Question

I just purchased this setup.

http://greenleafaquariums.com/comple...o2-system.html

and the diffuser

http://greenleafaquariums.com/co2-di...ffuser-16.html

Will I need an Automated PH monitor with this? What else do I need?

fishwater 01-27-2013 02:28 AM

I recommend a drop checker and a bubble counter and you should be good to go.

Darkblade48 01-27-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low_t Tom (Post 2362098)
Will I need an Automated PH monitor with this? What else do I need?

You do not need an automated pH monitor (pH controller), though it is a nice luxury item to have.

I would recommend you have a drop checker to estimate the levels of CO2 that is actually being dissolved into your water column.

You will need airline tubing :)

exv152 01-27-2013 11:33 AM

I highly recommend a quality check valve, a bubble counter, and a timer. But I have to agree, a pH controller is really not required.

Mahlady 01-27-2013 02:05 PM

I had the same question and sent a query into GLS, their customer service replied almost immediately re the system I had chosen. This was his reply (I have a 55g)

"Very popular size. I would also not advise on using a pH controller. We normally would see pH controller on big tanks 150g+ in size. With a 55g tank a simple timer for automation will work wonderfully. The Primo kit would be much better suited, along with either an inline diffuser or 70mm Atomic diffuser.

The inline are very popular due to them being hidden in the cabinet. You would need a canister filter to work it and you will need to know the tubing size of said filter.

Let me know if you have any questions. I have been building every co2 system at GLA for 10 years. Each one is custom built by hand one at a time. "

Also, after looking at your link to the Atomic, I noticed, it has a check valve listed in the included product list...So you just need a bubble counter a dual timer is also included it says

Quick Glance

Atomic CO2 System Includes:

Atomic CO2 Regulator V3
Dual outlet timer
Choice of 5, 10 or 15 LB CO2 cylinder
Check valve
Permaseal
Free CO2 resistant tubing

Low_t Tom 01-27-2013 05:42 PM

Tanks for all the help! So I did get the drop checker, but not a bubble counter. I am getting the inline deffuser that will go in the outlet line of my API XL and I'm confussed where I would put the Bubble counter? The output tubing will never be going anywhere in the tank and it seems that the bubble counter hangs on the side of the tank? I am trying to keep this stuff hiden as much as possible...

Darkblade48 01-27-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low_t Tom (Post 2367906)
I'm confussed where I would put the Bubble counter? The output tubing will never be going anywhere in the tank and it seems that the bubble counter hangs on the side of the tank? I am trying to keep this stuff hiden as much as possible...

The bubble counter (if you get an inline type), will go on the return side of the filter, just before the inline diffuser.

Yankee 01-27-2013 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low_t Tom (Post 2367906)
Tanks for all the help! So I did get the drop checker, but not a bubble counter. I am getting the inline deffuser that will go in the outlet line of my API XL and I'm confussed where I would put the Bubble counter? The output tubing will never be going anywhere in the tank and it seems that the bubble counter hangs on the side of the tank? I am trying to keep this stuff hiden as much as possible...

You can purchase one that screws onto the outlet of your needle valve ( JBJ Brass Bubble Counter w/ Integrated Check Valve). They're about $15 on evilbay.

Darkblade48 01-28-2013 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yankee (Post 2371186)
You can purchase one that screws onto the outlet of your needle valve ( JBJ Brass Bubble Counter w/ Integrated Check Valve). They're about $15 on evilbay.

Some adapters will be required, as the JBJ bubble counter requires a 1/8" NPT port.

exv152 01-28-2013 12:33 AM

The jbj counters are not all that good, they do have a tendency to crack very easily. If you went with an inline bc you'd be fine, and you def do not want to skip the bc. It helps control how much co2 you're using, and with an inline atomic difuser you'll def need to know how much you're using.

Low_t Tom 01-28-2013 08:13 AM

I have added a bubble counter that I can mount inside the cabinet. Tanks for all the advice in helping me get this system right. I will upload pics on the setup procedure to help other users.

Mahlady 01-30-2013 01:30 AM

So for a complete system you just got the atomic, a diffuser, and a bubble counter right?

Low_t Tom 01-30-2013 09:10 AM

I also got a drop checker.

Mahlady 01-30-2013 01:31 PM

Was set up easy?

Which diffuser and bubble counter did you buy?

Low_t Tom 01-31-2013 09:11 AM

I will be setting it up this weekend. I will post the entire process with Photo's.