The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Shrimp & Other Invertebrates (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Any one breeding COP Dwarf Mexican Crayfish? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=224978)

CherokeeNative 01-25-2013 07:01 PM

Any one breeding COP Dwarf Mexican Crayfish?

I have one little male and just ordered two females and a male to go into my community tank. I got the one first to make sure he would be safe with my other fish - in particular my male betta. Since they all get along beautifully, thought I would go ahead and get a few more. Just curious about caring, observations, etc. Thanks all.

mordalphus 01-25-2013 07:19 PM

You mean CPO,

I breed them. Males are territorial, and will kill each other and sometimes kill females too.

ravensgate 01-25-2013 08:27 PM

Mine breed but I've had zero luck keeping babies alive. Even when the female was separated out....just no luck for me in that department I guess.

pinoyghost2 01-25-2013 08:54 PM

Been there, done that, doing it now :icon_wink

Got about 6 females and 2 males in different areas...mostly in breeder boxes (1 each) 2 females are in my planted tank, 1 in my tiger tank, and both males have their own boxes.

Too small yet to breed, tried it the other day (male/female had just molted) they ignored one another :confused: I think the male wasn't mature enough, so they are just happily living in their own houses right now till they grow up a bit.

I raised 2 successful batches of babies. I put the mamma in a breeders box/or 2.5 gallon tank till she dropped them, then took her out right away as females will eat their young if they can find them.

I put enough moss/cholla wood in the tank that the babies could barely move around or it took them ages to get anywhere (this way they didn't see one another as everyone picked a spot) I had 15 babies in this tank and kept them all there until they were about 1/2 in size, then separated them to other tanks to help them grow more before I sold them.

I fed them earthworm powder/bioplus or golden pearls(decap brine shrimp) then as they grew I squished up pond snails for them to eat the meat (helps them grow as its protein) then later on crayfish food/algae wafers.

Changed the water 2 times a week to make sure it was kept clean, and syphoned up any dirt/leftover food on the bottom.

Be careful when you introduce the male to the female because females often are bigger and will kill a male. I always watch them together when I first put them in, if nothing happens in an hour or two I take the male back out.

Most LFS sell females more than males, so the males are the ones you want to keep alive, you can always get females....especially on aquabid.

SSS Fan 01-25-2013 11:30 PM

I keep a group of 8 (4 males and 4 females) in a 15 gallon tank. There is lots of Java moss and hornwort. I let a female go full term with a batch of eggs and only 3 made it to juvi size. I now separate berried females; once the babies are free, I dump the babies into a separate 10 gallon and the female back into the breeder tank.

igork 06-28-2014 02:52 PM

Cpo

Great posts. Do you still have them for sale? I have 45g planted tank and wanted to add a couple (male and female ) :) please PM me if willing to ship them to San Francisco.

oblongshrimp 06-28-2014 06:28 PM

I have some of them who are breeding. They fight quite a bit so I think I need to start moving the berried females into a different tank so the babies or females don't get attacked as much.