The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Fertilizers and Water Parameters (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Dosing bottles / containers? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=224890)

mobruler78 01-25-2013 04:44 PM

Dosing bottles / containers?

Anyone have suggestions or sources for good 500ml dosing bottles or dispensers?

I was looking at getting some clear soap dispensers off of Amazon.

I just bought the Macro Micro Mix from AquariumFertilizer.com

freph 01-25-2013 05:10 PM

Clear soap dispensers are fine. Try a beauty supply store as well.

Hoppy 01-25-2013 08:05 PM

http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquari...nser-16oz.html I use this type of dosing bottle and like it very much. Mine has one ounce dosage volume and holds 16 ounces of solution. So, I dose 1 ounce per dose, and put 16 doses in the bottle - using the EI dosing method, I put 16X the quantity per dose of the chemicals, into the bottle, fill it with tap water, shake it up, and I can easily dose uniform doses as often as I like.

jaybugg13 01-25-2013 08:27 PM

I got most of my dosing gear from Catalina.com. Labware at reasonable prices.

somewhatshocked 01-25-2013 08:46 PM

Check out U.S. Plastics or Uline (or any direct plastics retailer online) for measured dispensing bottles. Super-cheap.

You should be able to get 8-10 bottles of differing sizes for the price most folks on the forum (or many of the sponsors) would charge you for a single container.

UDGags 01-25-2013 09:15 PM

Re: Dosing bottles / containers?

I get mine from us plastics.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Hoppy 01-25-2013 11:25 PM

I got mine from US Plastics too, but the shipping cost was high enough that I felt I had to buy more of them then I wanted, then sell the excess in the for sale forum here, which I did.

Fdsh5 01-26-2013 02:01 AM

I use aquarium fertilizers.com as well. I mix mine in a mason jar and dose it with a 20 ml syringe with a blunt tip needle. It makes it super easy to count drop wise and then you know your volume of ferts per tank. Now I know how much to squirt out of the syringe without counting drops. Makes it real easy for me.

Aquaticz 01-26-2013 02:17 AM

Ditto. I use the 500 ml bottles as well. I use them for NPK as well as micros and metricide. I have a smaller one I use for treating tap water. On each bottle i have a post it note with the various dosages.
It makes dosing simple. I used to do the syringe thing but it gets old just like the syringes, I no longer order them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

somewhatshocked 01-26-2013 01:59 PM

Since Hoppy mentioned shipping costs, it may be worth checking out chemical supply and plastics supply companies in Northern Virginia. You may be able to find things for cheaper.

If you can't, you could always consider ordering some new filter tubing or a storage container of some sort to help justify the shipping costs/make your order worthwhile.

13B-RX3 01-26-2013 08:37 PM

I used an empty mouth wash container. Has a 10ml siphon tube, squeeze it till it fills up and then release. It sucks out all but 10ml. I adjusted my ferts for the 10ml dose instead of the 5ml.

Robotguy 01-26-2013 08:58 PM

If you have a university nearby with a decent medical, veterinary, or chemistry program, see if they have public surplus sales. I get all my lab glassware for pennies from UC Davis.

sweener 02-18-2013 11:59 PM

Would anyone happen to have 2 500ml dispensing bottles from US Plastics that they are willing to part with?

rileynapalm 02-19-2013 12:58 AM

I went to walmart and picked up two clear "ketchup style" bottles. both hold a little over 250mL and were about 98 cents. I know it's a bit small for what you want, but it may be able to work for temporary purposes. Or you can just use one for micros or something?

jnatelborg54@gmail.com 02-19-2013 01:20 AM

dosing bottles

See Orlando at Greenleaf Aquariums. I love the bottles that I got from him. I don't care if they might be a little more expensive, the service that I get from him is worth it!