The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Heater for 20gallon long (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=224794)

Shiggy 01-25-2013 03:48 PM

Heater for 20gallon long

Just looking for a reliable heater for my 20 gallon. I want something not to expensive but something that is quality.

h4n 01-25-2013 03:49 PM

Re: Heater for 20gallon long

Have you looking into the Finnex ones?
Or how much do you want to spend?

-Sent from my Samsung Note, a "Phablet"

freph 01-25-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h4n (Post 2345994)
Have you looking into the Finnex ones?
Or how much do you want to spend?

-Sent from my Samsung Note, a "Phablet"

Finnex ones are pretty good. I think they have a separate temperature controller you can buy as well. I just hate having equipment in the tank itself unless it's glassware, so I'm a bit biased when I say look into the Hydor ETH in-line heaters. ;)

teonguyen 01-25-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freph (Post 2346330)
Finnex ones are pretty good. I think they have a separate temperature controller you can buy as well. I just hate having equipment in the tank itself unless it's glassware, so I'm a bit biased when I say look into the Hydor ETH in-line heaters. ;)

I agree with freph if you want less equipments in your tank , spend a lil bit more and get the Hydor In-line heaters. It s really worth it. I have 2 on my 180gals and they keep stable temp. (If you buy one get the 300W , it s not hurting anything to have extra power and just in case you may want to upgarde to bigger tank in the future-just my 2 cents)

If you want something afforable and really don't care what you have extra in your tank. I would receommend getting heaters from Via Aqua. They are cheap and working as good as the expensive ones. I have one for my discus grow-out tank and have no prob whatsoever so far.

Happy planted tank :)

exv152 01-25-2013 05:53 PM

I'm partial to the eheim jagers. They can be exposed to the air while plugged in, & won't explode. Mine are always left pluged in when doing WCs and they sometimes get completely exposed to the air with no issues.

Shiggy 01-25-2013 10:44 PM

Hmm that hydor in line heater looks pretty cool. I might have to give that a try. Thanks for the info guys. Also where is the best deal to get one of these?

sbarbee54 01-25-2013 10:48 PM

I like the Hydro in line, but if in tank I like the Aquatop digitals

jmeister 01-26-2013 01:06 AM

Eheim Jager

CrypticLifeStyle 01-26-2013 01:14 PM

+1 Jagger. Quality heater.

caique 01-28-2013 06:34 AM

Hydor inlines blow away all those other in tank heaters.

CrypticLifeStyle 01-28-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caique (Post 2374186)
Hydor inlines blow away all those other in tank heaters.

They have a higher failure rate, i would disagree :biggrin: Plus i doubt he's running a pump or canister for one in a 20 gallon

marko d 01-28-2013 09:39 PM

I have been using a Fluval M100 since I set up my 20long in May. It's rated for 30 gallons.

I run my filter (Fluval C3) and the heater on the short side of the tank, as opposed to the back, so the filter pushes water long ways. It doesn't take away all the 'clutter' but keeps the back wall nice and clean.

There's nothing that I don't like about it. I like the reflective finish..blue light..adjustable settings. Very consistent temps from what I've seen. No difference in temps from one side to the other. Measured with Traceable therm.

I've seen it for about $20 everywhere. PetSmart/Co, local stores, and Amazon.