The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Fish (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   cycling a filter in an established tank? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=224138)

Elliriyanna 01-24-2013 09:08 PM

cycling a filter in an established tank?

i am currently cycling my 5 gallon and in a few months ( after we move) i plan to establish a second tank by running the second filter in my current tank. how long will the filter need to be in the established tank before i can safely put it back in its own tank and add fish?

Also will it affect the already established tank?

ronnie6989 01-24-2013 10:08 PM

another trick

When you do your 2nd tank, also take water from the 1st tank and use it in the 2nd tank. The water will carry live bacteria and help cycling the tank even faster.

Ronnie

Elliriyanna 01-24-2013 10:13 PM

oh cool :) will do i do know since the 2nd tanks gravel wont contain bacteria there will be a mini cycle, i am also using my betta tank as a plant grow out tank :)

Elliriyanna 01-24-2013 10:15 PM

actually i should say add frogs :D the 2nd is an adf tank

cichnatic 01-24-2013 10:42 PM

Honestly there is very little bacteria in the water column so there is no need to transfer the old tank water to the new tank. Transferring rocks and substrates to the new tank is the better solution. You should run the 2nd filter about a month to get it seeded. Always check for water parameters after moving things between tanks.

Elliriyanna 01-24-2013 10:49 PM

i thought i had read that about water having almost no bacteria but i hate contradicting experienced people.

so if i move it over can i just move my snail over to keep it cycled and get it past the mini cycle? ADF are sensitive i want to play it safe. i will of course test before i put the frogs in.

i would love to add gravel from the 1st tank to the 2nd but one is black gravel one is natural

cichnatic 01-24-2013 11:08 PM

Yes you can move the snail over. Take some gravel from the firs tank and put it in a filter media bag or a clean pantyhose and drop it in the second tank. That way you won't be mixing different color gravel.

Elliriyanna 01-24-2013 11:21 PM

oh thats a great idea i have to buy something to put over the filter intake so i will use the same material to hold the gravel :)

ronnie6989 01-25-2013 05:14 AM

Water Column

There is bacteria in the water column.......
Aquarium Aerobic Bacteria and Anaerobic Bacteria are in the water column. They is more bacteria in the filter and gravel but it also found in the water column.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU7UjA0AHos

shloken38 01-25-2013 07:40 PM

No one said there wasn't bacteria in the water. It is minimal at best. If you want to seed a new tank, you need to use gravel, decorations or filter media from an established tank (best option). If you use just the water from the old tank in the new tank, that bacteria will die off before it starts to grow. You will basically be starting from scratch.

Elliriyanna 01-25-2013 07:44 PM

OK here is my idea ... put gravel from my established tank plus plants ( grown in my established tank) and run the filter in the 1st tank .. will all of this together help?

Bluek24a4 01-25-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elliriyanna (Post 2340602)
oh thats a great idea i have to buy something to put over the filter intake so i will use the same material to hold the gravel :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elliriyanna (Post 2348450)
OK here is my idea ... put gravel from my established tank plus plants ( grown in my established tank) and run the filter in the 1st tank .. will all of this together help?

OR put as much new substrate into a mesh material of some kind, and leave it in the old tank while the new filter is also running on it. That way you have a seeded filter and matching substrate.

Rostasteve 01-25-2013 08:22 PM

Just take the filter media (part or all) out of the 1st filter and put it into the second filter...assuming that's possible with your filters. Your 1st filter will regrow bacteria just as it would when you replace media during maintenance. This will make your 2nd filter usable immediately.

Your idea of running both filters in the original tank will work too, but I'd give that 1-2 weeks.

I've used both methods and prefer moving the media because it's faster and easier.

Elliriyanna 01-25-2013 08:46 PM

Unfortunately they are different filters ones a 5 gallon one is a 10 so its not possible :( ...

Blue I love your idea plus then I wont have to disturb my plants :D

Bluek24a4 01-25-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elliriyanna (Post 2348938)
Blue I love your idea plus then I wont have to disturb my plants :D

And you won't have to mix and match substrates. :)